SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tournament Section for Forum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Tournament Section for Forum Reply with quote

While I fully support the growing popularity of tournaments at SBW, (very cool that the community is setting these things up) I sometimes find it annoying to log on and see 75 posts in the forum.
Reason being, I try to follow and be active in the forum/community.
I prefer to explore the threads where I can help w/ noob questions, ask noob questions, get to know others in our community, etc.
Recently I find myself merely brushing by the forum w/ all the Tournament posting that I'm not involved in and just logging out/in to dump it ALL! Crying or Very sad

I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way, and some may even be discouraged from reading/posting/becoming part of the SBW community because of it.

I don't have a solution. I am asking for suggestions from everyone. (mods too) The best I can think of is I wonder if maybe there could be another "Tournament" forum for those that are involved in tourneys.

Again, I don't have the answers, and I'm wondering if others might. Very Happy

Look forward to everyones thoughts! (Even if I have to sort through 69 posts to find them.)

~Big (the artist formally known as mdfreeman7) Laughing
Kanga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does get overwhelming at times. There have been a host of tournaments started recently; once they are running the posts drop down considerably.

However if people consider it a problem then we could encourage tournament organisers to take signups by email or by private message. This would clear most of the cluttering posts.
stargate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for reference there has been 339 forum posts in the last 6 1/2 days

I think most have been about tournaments
wildscrpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but when you click on "your Games" you can see at the top how many posts have been made. I just click that (mine currently says 13 new posts) and then look to see what I need to read and what to skip.

The problem with moving sign ups away from the forum would be that "noobs" like me would miss out on them.

I just don't read everything.... I'm sorry your frustrated!
mdfreeman7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildscrpio wrote:
Just a thought but when you click on "your Games" you can see at the top how many posts have been made. I just click that (mine currently says 13 new posts) and then look to see what I need to read and what to skip.

The problem with moving sign ups away from the forum would be that "noobs" like me would miss out on them.

I realize that. But when one gets up in the morning, and may have limited time to be on the site, sees 39 posts from while they've been asleep, decides to make their moves and check the board later that day, only to find the postings are well over 100...well taking time to see "what I need to read and what to skip" becomes not quite as important as playing. This therefore may lead to limiting the other wonderful benefit of a site like this; furthering the gaming community and maybe making a few friends along the way. (Note, I can guarantee you if should I find myself anywhere near Plainville, Ma USA, Stargate, Phil and that crew would be getting a call, and I'm confident they'd have me!)

Also my questionable (at best) suggestion wouldn't move sign ups away from the forum, I was thinking of a whole separate forum altogether! So us noobs and old-timers alike could check the T-Forum for tourneys, while still having the Forum for the usual stuff.

I repeat, I don't proclaim this to be the answer, I'm just looking for thoughts.
Thanks to wildscrpio, and those who have replied so far!

~Big

PS~I should add that if should I find myself anywhere near Plainville, Ma USA I'll probably have lost my mind or be running from the law. Twisted Evil
Either way, I'll still be up for a game or two... Very Happy
stargate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt --- you would find yourself welcome here in the Plainville area Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

we should wait and see how the current surge of tournament posts works
out before fixing a problem that is still not completely defined

that said --- I agree with Big's feelings about the current surge of forum posts
nishikawa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: E-Mail Notifications Reply with quote

This is the exact problem that I've had. When I brought it up before I was criticized and in fact jumped on.

Seems simple for organizers to solicit e-mails from interested players for tournaments and move to e-mail notification......that way people will respond quicker too and won't have to check in here all the time and sort thru what is 216 new posts here for me and it has only been a couple of days just too find what might be going on with the tournaments....that is just overwhelming.....I know the organizers are busy too, but this will make it less frustrating and easier for them too.

In this day and age it is simple to open a new g-mail account just for this purpose and use that.

Thank you for braving the community reaction and bringing this up.....other constructive solutions are appreciated.
stargate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for reference ---
in the past 36 hours there has been 68 forum posts
for a total of 406 in 8 days

1/13/2007 9pm update
236 new posts in 7 1/2 days

Last edited by stargate on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
cterrell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree. The way I know a new tournament is starting up is to log on and see that there are a bunch of postings out there. Otherwise I'll probably miss it. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Private messaging discourages the open nature of tournaments.

Once you see the wave of posts, one is free to ignore the tournament posts as they are already nicely tucked away in their topic. I don't find that to be particularly cluttering.
SunLion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: E-Mail Notifications Reply with quote

nishikawa wrote:

Seems simple for organizers to solicit e-mails from interested players for tournaments and move to e-mail notification.....

But how do organisers know who to email? I play hacienda tournaments, so I would be on an email list for that. But I was wondering whether to sign up, as a total newbie, for a reef or a wallenstein tournament recently. I decided not to. I may some other time. How would an organiser know whether to email me or not?
Legalu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like some people are confused about the "PM to sign up" suggestion. In (hopefully) clear terms: the organizer could post a message in the Forum announcing a new tournament, then whoever is interested in joining this tournament should send a private message (via SBW tools) to the organizer, instead of adding a reply to the thread.

A more sophisticated feature could be an "ignore thread" checkbox for each thread in the Forum, but that's more labor for our busy system administrator.
gische

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the organizer could post a message in the Forum announcing a new tournament, then whoever is interested in joining this tournament should send a private message (via SBW tools) to the organizer, instead of adding a reply to the thread.

That seems like a pretty reasonable way to do it. The organizer could then update the thread with tourney signups once/day or so, to highlight who's in.

Quote:
A more sophisticated feature could be an "ignore thread" checkbox for each thread in the Forum, but that's more labor for our busy system administrator.

I must admit this would be a really nice addition, because I play some of the tourneys but not all. So I like to track the status threads for the ones in which I play, but I can't for the life of me remember which ones I'm in, so I do a lot of searching for my username in all of the tourney update threads.
Gaditus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of the main instigators of 'tournament' posts I guess I should add my comments.

I do find seeing 30, 70, 105 etc new posts a bit disconcerting, but it does seem pretty easy to avoid the ones you don't want to look at if it's a problem to you - they generally have 'tournament' in the thread title.

I am not particularly against receiving pm's to join, but I do worry that this could put new players off - if you see 20 have already joined you may add your name to a list, but you may not feel like 'pm'ing someone who appears to be in authority ( Laughing ) or being the only new player amongst an unknown number of experts.

We have about 15 new players (ie didn't play in the last set) signed up for the latest batch of Amun Re tournaments so the current method is serving to involve new players.

What would be useful for me is an easy way to contact/pm a group of people at the same time (to mention that a tournament sign up is on, or a tournament is starting).

Finally, apologies to those I have annoyed by using the forum for the tournaments. - You could try one - you may like it Exclamation
Kanga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaditus wrote:

What would be useful for me is an easy way to contact/pm a group of people at the same time (to mention that a tournament sign up is on, or a tournament is starting).

I agree, as a tournament organiser the restriction on posting messages to one person at a time, and having to wait 10 or 15 seconds inbetween sending messages does make the administration of the tournaments laborious at times.

I'm sure it's there to stop spammers so I dont know if it's ever going to change.

For the record I tried to run the first tournament by email only but some players objected.
stargate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first -- Thumbs Up Exclamation for the post by Gaditus & Thumbs Up Exclamation to all the other Tournament admins for their work

second -- the tournament posts are no where near as annoying
as when people were using the forum for Werewolf

you can sort thru the forum posts and decide which ones you want to
read and which ones you don't

it's not just a lot of posts but also the number of threads >>
if you check the Hacienda forum
10 of the top 14 threads are tournament related

I also know that the tournament threads will go down the list over time
but it does make it more difficult to find a thread on a problem you may have

SBW has a forum for SpielByWeb Chat & one for Comments and Feature Requests
so maybe a forum for Tournaments would be in order

just food for thought
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: