SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Points-based ranking system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markmist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Points-based ranking system Reply with quote

I think it would be neat if the ranking system could be revamped to a points-based structure. The reason I suggest this is that it is currently advantageous to your ranking if you play in games with fewer players than with more players. All else being equal - in a 2-p game you have a 50% chance to win, in a 3-p game - 33%, in a 4-p game - 25%, 5-p - 20%, etc. Since % won and total wins are the only stats used for the rankings - there is no incentive to play in games with more players. How it is right now - a player with a 75% win pct may be misleading because he has played all 2-p games or a player with a 40% win pct may be a better player than the one with 75% because he has played mostly 4-p games.

The simplest system would be:
2-p game - winner gets 2 pts
3-p game - winner gets 3 pts
4-p game - winner gets 4 pts
5-p game - winner gets 5 pts

However, it would also be neat if you got points for placing higher in multi-player games. In order to keep the system balanced, players finishing near the bottom would have to lose points. Of course, there is no system that has perfect balance - but this is what I came up with:

2-p game - winner gets 4 pts, loser gets 0 pts.
3-p game - winner gets 6 pts, 2nd gets 1 pt, 3rd gets (-1) pts.
4-p game - winner gets 8 pts, 2nd gets 2 pts., 3rd gets 0 pt., 4th gets (-2) pts.
5-p game - winner gets 10 pts, 2nd gets 3 pts., 3rd gets 1 pt., 4th gets (-1) pt., 5th gets (-3) pts.

Then, players can be ranked based on total pts as well as pts per game. Of course this system does not take into account the strength of your opposition or margin of victory, but trying to develop such a system would be terribly complicated and probably not worth the effort.
fteplin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ideas. Check out similar discussions here:

http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=316
http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=405

And here, at Mabiweb.com:

http://www.mabiweb.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=80

Here's Mabiweb's administrator answer, which I like:

Quote:
I intentionally don't want to put up player rankings.

In my opinion they tend to create a too strongly competitive environment among players. Certainly not all players would be affected by this, but enough to start creating all kind of problems. Bad feelings when losing a game, blaming other players for not playing well enough and giving away the victory to another opponent, even cheating (with double accounts) in order to improve the ranking. Most of all, there would certainly be an increased number of abandoned games (if you are going to lose, you can just stop moving, waiting for the game to expire).

I've seen this happen in many other places, from chess-playing sites to Days of Wonder Ticket To Ride, even Euphrates & Tigris on BGG, and I don't want to see any of this here. This site has to remain a place where all can play just for fun in a friendly environment.
(I'm a bit worried that even current single player's stats could be too much. I'm ready to remove them as soon as I have the slightest feeling that they represent a problem).

I recognize the advantages of a ranking system, but I think it's worthwile only for commercial sites, where they need to create and maintain a large base of highly motivated players. That's certainly not my case here, so for MaBiWeb the cons far outweigh the pros.

So, no rankings: play for fun and don't look at your stats! Or look at them but don't take them too seriously .

Very Happy
markmist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting those other links. I have read through most of the posts now. I am aware of the ELO system and I am personally not a fan of it because I find it too complicated to understand and it promotes segregation of players.

What I am proposing is just a simple change to the current ranking system. And this is not an argument of whether to have a ranking system or not, because SBW already keeps total wins and % won. My idea is to just make it more equitable based on the number of players in a game.

When looking at the rankings - I want the person ranked #1 to actually be one of the best players and not someone who has played 19 games and won 17 because he played all 2-p games and against a weaker opponent. Otherwise, why even rank players based on % won???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: