SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outbid in Same Province ambiguity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LVBrian

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Outbid in Same Province ambiguity Reply with quote

I have a feeling some new players are making the mistake of thinking they must play the "outbid in same province" card before even making their very first bid. The text certainly makes it appear that way.

This, of course, gives away their plan to eventually outbid in the same province!

Perhaps better phrasing is warranted. Perhaps only making it an option if they are actually outbid in a province. Something.

Thoughts on the issue?
fr33py

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just rewording the use of the card to make it clear that it can be played later as well?

Not that I have actually used this technique but maybe one would want to play the outbid card in order hope people will see the card and maybe never bid there to begin with. (Most likely wont work) but the ability to scare off an oponent from bidding there to begin with maybe have a use.

<shrug>
Wes M

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, that's the wording on the physical card. (I.e. a direct quote.) The (real/physical) rules make it clear that you don't have to play the card at the start of your turn, but I've seen confusion in FtF games because of the ambiguity. (On the card.)
LVBrian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it happened again. Someone reading the "Outbid in same province card must be played before bidding" instructions in a game of mine used the card before they needed to and as a result gave up their intent.

I tried to play as if I didn't know.

My suggestion: Ditch the text saying you have to use the card prior to bidding. After all, when a player can't outbid in the same province without clicking that they want to use the card, they will figure out that they have to use the card.
Wes M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't (just) a case of hiding intent. The outbid card can also be played as a threat; "sure I bid too low for this province, but I can come over the top."

And, as I said above, that's how the actual card, from the actual game, is worded.
LVBrian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes M wrote:
It isn't (just) a case of hiding intent. The outbid card can also be played as a threat; "sure I bid too low for this province, but I can come over the top."

And, as I said above, that's how the actual card, from the actual game, is worded.

Look, this really isn't a request to limit strategy.

If someone DOES want to do what you suggest, they still can. Just go ahead and click the link and use the card before bidding.

But I am telling you guys... "You may play an Outbid in Same Province power card now (this must be done before bidding below)"... it is misleading and it is confusing players... maybe even players who know the rules but think its just a kink in the code.

From now on I will just reply to this thread with "IT HAPPENED AGAIN" every time I see it.
Golux13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be far less confusing to reword the text as

"Outbid in Same Province card must be played before overbidding."

or something like that.
mrbass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always played it thinking I had to until mabiweb told me I could play it later on. I agree different text would most likely alleviate most newbies from making the same mistake.

Perhaps just add the following in parantheses copied directly from the rules

Outbid in same province card must be played before bidding (may be played along with your initial bid in the phase, or along with one of your re-bids)

or shorten it up perhaps

Outbid in same province card must be played before bidding (play with initial bid or re-bid)
Abbacus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the text is confusing as it reads now. Indeed, the text is not really needed as it is obvious that the card must be played prior to actually rebidding on the same province. But something like "Outbid in Same Province card must be played before overbidding." would also be an improvement.

Another point: In the actual boardgame Amun Re rules, are you actually allowed to play 'overbid in the same province' prior to your first bid as a threat?
LVBrian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: OK, final text suggestion Reply with quote

OK, final text suggestion

To more correctly represent the rules and avoid new player confusion, please consider changing the text for the outbid in same province card.

Proposed text:

"You may play an Outbid in Same Province power card now or prior to any future re-bid"
I am not married to this particular phrasing, but want to make it easy for the developers with suggested text.
milksheikh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, final text suggestion Reply with quote

LVBrian wrote:
OK, final text suggestion

"You may play an Outbid in Same Province power card now or prior to any future re-bid"

I agree, and have gone with this text. Thanks for the suggestions!
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LVBrian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! :+)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Amun-Re All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: