SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Werewolves on SBW?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Werewolves on SBW? Reply with quote

We've been thinking about how to add werewolves as play-by-web game on SBW, and whether it makes sense or not. Would this work, and if so, how would it work best?
Joseph

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Werewolves on SBW? Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
We've been thinking about how to add werewolves as play-by-web game on SBW, and whether it makes sense or not. Would this work, and if so, how would it work best?

Unlike the other games here, WW doesn't work well with just a clickable input option. Most of the game is deciphering who is a werewolf by their reactions to discussions in the game. A "werewolf lite" game might be possible, allowing votes, and maybe some type of "I suspect ____" option, but in general the game doesn't translate well outside of a message board.

If anyone's interested, PM me. There's quite a few sites around the web where this is played.
Worm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the other thread:

Just brainstorming, but things you would need:

1. random role assignment mechanism
2. role functions programmed in - start with the basics (seer gets a view, angel gets a protection, BG's get a kill, maybe a vigilante, etc.), and have them automated so whoever has the role can select their action and target during the night phase
3. automated vote counting and vote tally display - some drop down menus where you can select a person to vote for and perhaps enter a reason
4. an easy to use message board interface for general player interaction (maybe a separate place for the BG's to converse)

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to implement with some effort. I know if you guys did get something like that working here that it would get a lot of use.
Worm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Werewolves on SBW? Reply with quote

Joseph wrote:
HappyProle wrote:

Unlike the other games here, WW doesn't work well with just a clickable input option. Most of the game is deciphering who is a werewolf by their reactions to discussions in the game. A "werewolf lite" game might be possible, allowing votes, and maybe some type of "I suspect ____" option, but in general the game doesn't translate well outside of a message board.

If anyone's interested, PM me. There's quite a few sites around the web where this is played.

Roscoe,

I think it would work if you automated a lot of the tedious stuff, but left the basic thing that keeps it going, the player interaction. So some sort of message board portion would be a requirement, but automating voting and roles and such would be really cool for basic games.
Joseph

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Werewolves on SBW? Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
Joseph wrote:
HappyProle wrote:

Roscoe,

I think it would work if you automated a lot of the tedious stuff, but left the basic thing that keeps it going, the player interaction. So some sort of message board portion would be a requirement, but automating voting and roles and such would be really cool for basic games.

So the voting/role options interfaces would be contained in a frame around the message board interface? That probably would be workable.
Worm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Werewolves on SBW? Reply with quote

Joseph wrote:
Worm wrote:
Joseph wrote:
HappyProle wrote:

Roscoe,

So the voting/role options interfaces would be contained in a frame around the message board interface? That probably would be workable.

What I am imagining is a game that on the surface looks like any of the other SBW games. Maybe there are multiple tabs or something. So on one tab, you'd have all the automated stuff, like where you could vote, where you can see a vote tally, etc., and then the other tab would be where the discussion was. The key would be making sure the discussion portion was easy to ready and follow.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial thoughts were that it wouldn't be very structured: at minimum a way for the moderator to send game messages to the players, gather votes, kill players... and a way for the players to communicate freely with each other.

If possible, I'd also like to set it up so that variants would be easy to create - with the moderator essentially posting the rules and naming the different roles.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I authored that last message of mine before reading your replies.)

What would need to be changed (if anything) from the existing SBW game message functionality? You can freely post messages there with timestamps.
Worm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
My initial thoughts were that it wouldn't be very structured: at minimum a way for the moderator to send game messages to the players, gather votes, kill players... and a way for the players to communicate freely with each other.

If possible, I'd also like to set it up so that variants would be easy to create - with the moderator essentially posting the rules and naming the different roles.

The big benefit to something like this would be to automating the tedious parts of playing / modding, which would mainly center around voting / vote tallys. If you could come op with a system which could keep track of players and where players could select their votes and see an automated tally, that would be a HUGE step up.
Smoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That we're even having this discussion gives me a semi-chub.
Worm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
(I authored that last message of mine before reading your replies.)

What would need to be changed (if anything) from the existing SBW game message functionality? You can freely post messages there with timestamps.

Well, first, we play big games with 30-40 people, and there are literally thousands of posts before the game is finished, so it would need to be formatted to handle this. Second, you need to be able to quote people, like in a true message board format, to be able to play properly.
inHim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
HappyProle wrote:

The big benefit to something like this would be to automating the tedious parts of playing / modding, which would mainly center around voting / vote tallys. If you could come op with a system which could keep track of players and where players could select their votes and see an automated tally, that would be a HUGE step up.
:scum: is very close to automated tallying. Very close.
Worm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inHim wrote:
Worm wrote:
HappyProle wrote:

:scum: is very close to automated tallying. Very close.

Yes, but it's :scum: ....
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I would be interested in hearing thoughts on:

If the system knew who was a a ww and who could speak at night.

Knew the vote tally.

Knew who could have a viewing.

Knew who could fire back upon death.

Would there need to be a moderator. Would an open message system that allowed certain roles to communicate at night etc... make it so a game could be moderator less. Obviously some variants would need a moderator, but a basic game set would seem possible to me with totally random role assignment and pure automation.
Joseph

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanMC wrote:
One thing that I would be interested in hearing thoughts on:

If the system knew who was a a ww and who could speak at night.

Knew the vote tally.

Knew who could have a viewing.

Knew who could fire back upon death.

Would there need to be a moderator. Would an open message system that allowed certain roles to communicate at night etc... make it so a game could be moderator less. Obviously some variants would need a moderator, but a basic game set would seem possible to me with totally random role assignment and pure automation.

for a basic game, you could probably run it without a moderator. Once you start adding more advanced roles though, things are never quite as clearcut and a mod probably would be necessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: