SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion of new rating system (ELO like)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you agree with the proposed change?
Hell, yes!!
32%
 32%  [ 25 ]
I dunow
16%
 16%  [ 13 ]
No let´s keep the percentage system
50%
 50%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 77

Legalu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JimF"]
Alashar wrote:

A suggestion if we want to make the ranking system slightly more complicated without going down the ELO route would be to award points as follows based on the number of players in the game:

2Player: 1st=1, 2nd=0
3Player: 1st=1, 2nd=1/2, 3rd=0
4Player: 1st=1, 2nd=2/3, 3rd=1/3, 4th=0
5Player 1st=1, 2nd=3/4, 3rd=1/2, 4th=1/4, 5th=0 etc…..

That's exactly the system I had in mind. My only addition would be to give -1 points for the player that abandons a game. I believe the benefits you listed far outweigh the drawbacks.
Big Bad Lex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Legalu"]
JimF wrote:
Alashar wrote:

A suggestion if we want to make the ranking system slightly more complicated without going down the ELO route would be to award points as follows based on the number of players in the game:

That's exactly the system I had in mind. My only addition would be to give -1 points for the player that abandons a game. I believe the benefits you listed far outweigh the drawbacks.

The reason an earlier poster suggested 5 points for winning a 5 player game is because its harder than winning a 2 player game (20% chance vs 50% chance). To grant the same points for 1st place in a 5p & 2p defeats the point of a system that rewards also rans.

This debate can run for years, but the one thing I'd change if I was King of the World is where two players have the same number of wins, the one who has played the least would be ranked the higher.

And I'd electrocute people who post cat pics on BGG.
Vinny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this?

Include an "average players per game" number next to the win total.

e.g.
Annon 18/30 (2.4 players)
MrX 4/11 (4.1 players)

MrX evidently is "better"

I'm not sure what the coding effort would be, but it would mitigate the biggest problem with the current system i.e. a 2-player win counts the same as a 5-player.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that might be worth exploring is allowing several "views" of rankings, not unlike how you can see several different methods for ranking college football teams. My apologies to those unfamiliar with the analogy.
joaotorres

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for a more complex ranking system.

While you still can create as many new non-passworded games as you want, I don't see how a ranking system would segregate anyone. If there's no games where you can join, just create a new one.

An option to whether the game would be valid for the ranking or not would also help that, if you don't want to participate of any kind of ranking or if you just don't care, simply choose the game not to be valid for rankings and everything stay as it is.

On the other side, an actual ranking system would certainly attract more attention to SBW and encourage players to get better at the games. It would certainly increase the fun for the more competitive players, like me Smile

For those who don't want it, just tick the "valid for ranking" off and continue playing as you always did Wink
smlait

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern would be the nonpassworded games - which are mostly what I play. If I accumulate a half decent ranking, I don't particularly want Joe Blow and his two aliases joining my open game of Tikal and ganging up on me in an attempt to raise his rating. Sure, I'll finish second or third as the aliases all work toward making Joe win - but it's still no fun for me. Sadly, that sort of cheating will happen. So, the primary effect of a system like this would be that I'd mostly only create 2 player games to prevent that sort of cheating, and I'd get less enjoyment out of the site than I do now.
Legalu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your opinion about the rating system, where it's worth beating a highly-rated player.
My preference is for a simple adjustment to the current ranking system. Hey, you just gave an idea: I could create another 2 aliases, play several games with myself and boost my stats Wink .
How far can people go just because of rankings and ratings? I just wish we had a better mechanism to discourage kingmaking.
Golux13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legalu wrote:
How far can people go just because of rankings and ratings?

When you have rankings, you have rankwhores. To eliminate rankwhoring, eliminate ranking.

I know, it's not going to happen. Too many people care -- even if only a little bit -- about rank. So I just ignore it, which is the next best thing.
JimF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Big Bad Lex"]
Legalu wrote:
JimF wrote:
Alashar wrote:

The reason an earlier poster suggested 5 points for winning a 5 player game is because its harder than winning a 2 player game (20% chance vs 50% chance). To grant the same points for 1st place in a 5p & 2p defeats the point of a system that rewards also rans.

but balancing this in the 2p game you also have a 50% chance of 0 points and in the 5p game you only have a 20% chance of 0 points. The point being that the average points per player is equal in games with different numbers of players.

Yes you could say that 1st place should be rewarded higher but we currently have a system where winning is all that matters so we could run this average place% alongside the win%.

I just thought it would be fairly easy to implement and is a meaningful thing to measure.
Legalu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: A dilemma in gaming ethics Reply with quote

Suppose we have a game with 3 players, P1, P2 and P3, where P3 no longer has the chance of winning the game. Despite this fact, P3 is in such a strategic position at the end of the game that he/she is able to choose one of the following three outcomes:
a) P3 stays on the sideline, P1 wins the game and P2 finishes second;
b) P3 helps P2 win the game, P1 finishes second and P3 is last;
c) P3 guarantees second place, but this causes P2 to win and P1 finishes third.
Option "b)" is clearly unethical because P3 favours one of the players for no personal benefit.
Option "c)" is the intuitive choice for competitive players (myself included), but in a scoring system where only the winner gets all the credit then P3 would be favouring P2 for no personal benefit. This leads to "b)" becoming an unethical choice.
Option "a)" may also be considered unethical if we assume that all players should be trying to finish as best as they can in the game. Given that P3 has choice "c)" available, option "a)" would be a passive way of helping P1 win the game.
Golux13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: A dilemma in gaming ethics Reply with quote

Legalu wrote:
Suppose we have a game with 3 players, P1, P2 and P3, where P3 no longer has the chance of winning the game. Despite this fact, P3 is in such a strategic position at the end of the game that he/she is able to choose one of the following three outcomes:
a) P3 stays on the sideline, P1 wins the game and P2 finishes second;
b) P3 helps P2 win the game, P1 finishes second and P3 is last;
c) P3 guarantees second place, but this causes P2 to win and P1 finishes third.
Option "b)" is clearly unethical because P3 favours one of the players for no personal benefit.
Option "c)" is the intuitive choice for competitive players (myself included), but in a scoring system where only the winner gets all the credit then P3 would be favouring P2 for no personal benefit. This leads to "b)" becoming an unethical choice.
Option "a)" may also be considered unethical if we assume that all players should be trying to finish as best as they can in the game. Given that P3 has choice "c)" available, option "a)" would be a passive way of helping P1 win the game.

Option "c)" is the only appropriate choice, because the one overriding factor -- beyond whether you are "helping another player" -- is whether you are maximizing your position in the game. If you can't win the game, then your optimal move is the one that gets you closest to winning. One reason you always take the move that optimizes your position is that you can never predict when one of your opponents will make a critical error and give you an opening. But as a general matter, if everybody is playing to maximize their own positions, there can be no accusations of "kingmaking," even if a move does in fact enable someone else to win.

You say "in a scoring system where only the winner gets all the credit," so I have to ask (question for everyone in the thread): in your face-to-face gaming, do you have some method of crediting 2nd or 3rd place finishers? I can tell you that in my gaming circles, we "credit" only the winner, though we don't ascribe any particular stigma to losing, usually using it as an opportunity to analyze where we went wrong. So do you keep score in your f2f gaming, and if so, do you track the second and third place finishes as closely as you propose to do here?
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about ranking based upon purely my opinion? Several benefits to this, I like it and I know I would be very fair in my assessment. For example, people from Massachusetts would automatically recieve a lower rating then, say, New Hampshire. People I lose to would recieve less points then people who lose to me, etc. I'm sure you can all see the wisdom in such a system. Twisted Evil
stargate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkruppa wrote:
What about ranking based upon purely my opinion? Several benefits to this, I like it and I know I would be very fair in my assessment. For example, people from Massachusetts would automatically recieve a lower rating then, say, New Hampshire. People I lose to would recieve less points then people who lose to me, etc. I'm sure you can all see the wisdom in such a system. Twisted Evil

again Bill's wife has left him without adult supervision Exclamation

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
joaotorres

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something I don't get here, say a ranking system would be implemented, doesn't the option to have games that are NOT valid for ranking keep things like they are now for those who don't like ranking and the problems it may bring?

Like in the open game of Tikal getting raided by cheaters, just create an open game that's not valid for rankings, and things would be just the same as now.

The only difference is that, then, people who would like a more accurate ranking system would get it, but people who think rankings would make things worse, would still have the same old nice SBW Wink
Legalu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joaotorres wrote:
There's something I don't get here, say a ranking system would be implemented, doesn't the option to have games that are NOT valid for ranking keep things like they are now for those who don't like ranking and the problems it may bring?

Like in the open game of Tikal getting raided by cheaters, just create an open game that's not valid for rankings, and things would be just the same as now.

The only difference is that, then, people who would like a more accurate ranking system would get it, but people who think rankings would make things worse, would still have the same old nice SBW Wink

João,
Yes you're right. But we're not seeking a solution, just having fun debating this topic Wink .
Saudações, Leo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: