SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More meaningful "Games won" number
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kruhland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the discussion was going off track of the original subject. I agree with LVbrian on the rating, that maybe 1 point for first, 2 for second, etc is a more fair overall rating, if that matters to you. Or it could scale for a 3 person vs 5 person game. Or else remove it completely. I don't know how BSW does it but they have a more tiered system. AS a side note, so far every game I've started has finished, so the posts I read about people not ending games to avoid rankings or because they're losing I haven't seen. Maybe most people care about playing the game more then losing the game Very Happy
efreeman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Scoring system...not either or.. Reply with quote

All,

Why does a scoring system have to be an either/or situation?

I track for myself a couple different metrics for specific games to try to understand how well I am doing.

One of these is based on placing. I score one "win" for every player I beat in a game and one "loss" for every player that beats me. If I'm at .500 (let's say ten "wins" and ten "losses") then I'm average player at the game. Above .500 is better than average, below .500 is less.

However, sometimes I want to look at things from a "winning is everything" perspective, so I track this as well. In this metric, I score x "wins" for every game I win, where x is the number of players beat. If I lose a game, I score a single "loss". If I play 5 five player games and win one of those, I'm 4-4...exactly .500...this metric tells me whether I WIN more or less than what would be expected of the average.

If both metrics are tracked here, then you could place importance on the one that is important to YOU. If neither is important, just ignore them. These metrics also importantly take into account the # of players in a game.

Eric
JimF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple solution would be:

1- (Final Position-1)/(Number of Players-1)

e.g.
In a 2 player game the winner gets 1point, the loser 0
In a 3 player game the winner still gets 1 point, 2nd gets 0.5 points and last gets 0
In a 4 player game the winner still gets 1 point, 2nd gets 0.67 points, etc...

The Number of points on offer in each game divided by the number of players is always equal to 0.5

This is very similar to efreeman's suggestion. Someone with an average above 0.5 is better than average.

Some people think this system does not reward winning enough, but you can adapt it as long as the avergae number of points on offer in each game is the same irrespective of the number of players.

ALTERNATIVELY - lets just play Smile
Montu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golux13 wrote:

Nobody has addressed my point that consistently placing second is not necessarily an indicator of superior skill over someone who places first some fraction mof the time and last the rest of the time. "Performance" in a game where one player wins and the rest do not win must be measured in terms of how many wins a player has; nothing else makes sense. I disagree that "first isn't everything" when you're talking about how to judge game performance. (If you're talking about game playing in general, I do agree with you -- having fun and enjoying the challenge should be the primary consideration.)

I think you have a very absolutist idea of success, greatness, etc. Let's look at another football example: the NFL from 1990-93. I suspect that you would argue that Dallas was the greatest team over that span because they won two Super Bowls (also because they would later win a 3rd w/ the same basic team). Buffalo was "first loser" 4 times. So in Super Bowls, Buffalo was 0-4, Dallas 2-0, the Giants and Washington 1-0 each. Are the Giants and Washington also better than Buffalo over that span? Well, again that depends upon how you define "better."

If you look at overall wins/losses (including playoffs), Buffalo is clearly better. Buffalo was 58-19 (75.3%), Dallas 49-23 (68.1%), New York Giants 41-27 (60.3%), and Washington 42-29 (59.2%). Buffalo won its division 3 times (Dallas twice, the Giants and Redskins once each). Yet Buffalo lost the big game. In two of those Super Bowls Buffalo's record coming in was equal to or better than their opponent. So did the "best" team win all of those games? I'm not so sure. In each case, the winning team could be called the best in that particular game on that particular day, but over the course of 4 years can anyone argue that Buffalo was not the best team in the NFL?

If you want a more recent example, how about Philadelphia vs. Tampa Bay in the past four seasons (2001-04, not 05, which is not yet finished)? Tampa Bay was 1-0 in Super Bowls over that span, Philadelphia 0-1. But the Eagles' overall record was 54-20 (73%) while Tampa Bay was barely above 50% (36-32). The Eagles were even worse than "first loser" in 3 out of 4 of those seasons, yet they were clearly better than the one-time winner. Do you disagree?
LVBrian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimF wrote:
A simple solution would be:

1- (Final Position-1)/(Number of Players-1)

I think this would work great and would be very easy to implement. Then when you hover over a player it could show:

56% / 23 games

for someone who has scored .56 on average and played 23 games. Much more precise and meaningful than how many firsts someone has taken in my opinion.

Better yet, show both # of firsts and the new formula. Please everyone!
Kanga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm closer to Golux on this one; I think that scoring points for finishing 2nd, 3rd etc does promote Kingmaking, and also isn't the aim of the game. I like the feel of this site in that it encourages players to do the move that most improves their chance of winning.

Picking up on a secondary point in the original post, I would like to see a win ratio for differing numbers of players in a game. 3 player Amun Re is much different to 4 player, which is different to 5 player. It would be interesting to see who has done well in each form of the game.
efreeman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Still either or terms thrown around Reply with quote

All,

I've seen this debate doen a million times on bgg, rec.games.board and others, and the simple matter is no one is likely to move anyone else off their respective positions. Some will think "winning is everything" while others will feel that "final position matters". I find compelling arguments for both, so why NOT track both? Don't tell anyone "this is or that is important". Track it both ways and let the users determine which they find is more important.

don't tell anyone what their goal should be...whether it be "make the move that gives me the best chance to win...no matter how infitesimal" or "I cannot win, so I'll get the best placing possible." People will make their moves according to their values regardless of whether the site tracks it or not.

If better data were available, I'd certainly look at it, and having both things (as I outlined above) tracked would give a good snapshot of their play.

Eric
Golux13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montu, I think the football analogies just plain don't apply. Team compositions, coaches and schedules change from year to year. Even if you think of each team from as a single individual and the entire NFL season as the "game"... it still doesn't work. The goal of that game -- winning the Super Bowl -- is approached differently from trying to win a board game; instead of a multiplayer game with everyone competing against everyone else, it's a series of one-on-one match-ups, where W/L records determine the playoffs which determine which teams face each other in the final round. So the meaning of "better" or "best" team over a series of NFL seasons means something very different from "better" or "best" player over a series of board games.

Even if it did apply, your analogy would be like looking at individual round scores during a game: If we play a game with 10 scoring rounds and I outscore you in 6 of those 10 rounds, you can still win the game by beating me by a larger margin in the remaining four rounds. Ultimately, the fact that I outscored you 60% of the time within the game is meaningless if you in fact win the game. If we play the same game ten times with the same results, then it doesn't matter that my "W/L record" in scoring rounds is 60-40 and yours is 40-60 -- what matters (to the extent any of this matters at all, which is pretty limited) is that you won all ten games.
Jimzik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Re your football analogy: The NCAA is kind of a poor analogy, because of the whole BCS mess. But look at the NFL -- do you think the team that loses the Super Bowl cares about being the second-best team that season? Did the Astros get an "Aw, that's OK" parade after the White Sox won the World Series? I think not. It's "maybe next year," which is pretty analogous to how my gaming group approaches losses -- maybe next time.)

Golux YOU ASKED for a football analogy then dismissed the one Montu presented! What's up with that? As for your question above the answer is YES. The 2nd best team got there and that means a hell of a lot to a city. Cleveland was estatic when the Indians were finally IN a World Series and would go berserk if the Browns EVER went to a Super Bowl. When you look at all the Super Bowls there are TWO teams listed in the stats, not just one.
Another user described your group as a bunch of win-crazed sports dads and that pretty much hit the nail right on the head. The more you talk the deeper you dig your own hole.
Kingmaking? Live with it because it's going to happen no matter what system you use and if any of you say you haven't ever veered a game towards a wife/girlfriend/buddy over a stranger or hated rival then you're lying. "Let's see, who should I put the robber on? How about Kenny for the 12th time because he's a dick".
Ereeman and JimF both came up with EXCELLENT solutions, hopefully somebody here at SPIELBYWEB is listening. It's a great site and they're doing a fantastic job, we're just suggesting a better way to track games besides Winning only.
Golux13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimzik, you're the one who brought up football, not me. I pointed out that your NCAA analogy doesn't work, and when Montu made his comments, I pointed out that it didn't apply either.

Whatever your impression is of my gaming group, it's pretty obvious you've entirely missed my point, because the characterizations here -- hypercompetitive assholes, "win-crazed sports dads" -- are completely off base. (Also, I have resisted making characterizations of you and others, or trying to figure out why you are so concerned with adding complexity to the ratings.)

Maybe I haven't been clear enough. Here it is, as simple as I can make it:

We play each game to win, and we engage in some banter and trash talk now and then, but we don't keep records of who won how many of any game. We don't believe in giving up and steering victory toward one person over another if we can't win. (In fact, we don't have "hated rivals," and we treat strangers and other newcomers as friends.) I put the robber where I think it will give me the greatest advantage relative to the leader. As far as I'm concerned, kingmaking is barely a half-step off of cheating.

Finally, as I've said before, if Milksheikh wants to "enhance" the ratings system, so be it. I just don't see any value to it.
Big Bad Lex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess its a great but indirect compliment to Milk sheikh that the game and site works so well that the only source of debate is a stats system.

Whether you think 1st place is everything or not, it's worth remembering we are all guests on this excellent site. Seeing how we pay nothing to enjoy the games here, this is Mr Sheikh's party and 'His Gaff, His rules'.

Whilst suggestions toward perceived improvements of the site might be welcomed, perhaps an emotive debate like this concerning an abstract and periferal scoring system which might apply to any games is best continued elsewhere?
Golux13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I miss a message from Milksheikh saying that this discussion was a problem? If so, I apologize and I'll be happy to shut it down. If not, I don't see anything wrong with discussing our various philosophies of gaming, particularly as they apply (or not) to the features on this site.
Big Bad Lex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK just to spell it out.

A significant proportion of this thread consists of personal attacks and pointless slagging which is utterly removed from structured gaming debate. A friend of mine who runs his own successful site actually shut his forum down owing to a thread that turned nasty and started to overspill into the rest of the site. I would hate that to happen here.

It shouldn't need site admin to kerb this we should be self policing.
TMJJS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Stats? Reply with quote

There are stats on this site? Surprised
Wow, I just thought it was a great place to come and have fun playing games!
LVBrian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I started the thread and I think it can be returned to productivity without shutting it down. I think people walk into this particular issue with baggage--me included.

I think those of us who have tried know that tracking results in an intimate group of friends is ultimately a bad idea. Over time you just make some people feel bad and you make other people targets. You turn every game into a small part of a larger meta-game of "how high can I make my numbers," etc.

Now, that said, I think a website of hundreds of players is different. Further, the site ALREADY tracks win ratios in what is in my opinion a rather unforgiving manner that implies an all-or-nothing approach to gaming here for anyone who, even in the back of their mind, considers their ratings even just for fun.

My suggestion is this (and the site owner can regard or disregard as he sees fit). Either:
    A. Alter the "wins:games played" public displays shown to include performance information from 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths and games with different numbers of players as some sort of percentage or something. If you think it will in any way harm play more than what is shown right now or will water down statistics or anger some players who want firsts exclusively tracked or whatever... than have it show up only in the personal profile.

B. Ignore me completely and bask in the glow of one helluva site you have created.
On a side note, it has come up a few times that playing for 2nd or 3rd or 4th at any time is to play kingmaker. I disagree. I think that all players always trying to badger first place (or, worse, the player they perceive is in first place) regardless of their own position is more destructive. I think that by 80% of the way through a game, players are cognizant of their relative positions and begin playing to hold on to their position (2nd trying to make sure 3rd doesn't pass him) as well as usurp the position in front of them (2nd place trying to catch up to first). To expect the player in a distant 5th place to play to beat the leader instead of 4th on the last couple turns is both unrealistic and encourages players to stay in a careful 2nd or 3rd place, ruining the excitement, fun, and flow of most games. All my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: