SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Player Color choice: Fixed for "me"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Player Color choice: Fixed for "me" Reply with quote

It'd be neat if you could set your player color in your profile so that in every game you play it's always the same color. That way there's no need to have to figure out what color you are in any given game, it's always the same.

Other player colors are fixed for any given game and are obviously different than yours (from your POV).

For instance I could choose yellow as my player color in my SpielByWeb profile. Every game I'm in, my position/playing pieces are yellow. You could also choose yellow in your profile, every game you're in your postion/pieces are yellow. It's not a problem if we're in the same game, since I only see the game from my POV (I'm yellow, you're some color the computer chose for you at start of game) and you only see the game from your POV (you're yellow and I'm some color the computer chose at game start).

It'd sure make life easier for those of us playing multiple games.

And speaking of colors, any way we can change the colors available? The blue/purple combo in Wallenstein is especially tough on my color-deficient vision.
Montu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is implementable, it's an incredibly good idea. I second the motion, Mr. Chairman.
Hubajube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Player Color choice: Fixed for "me" Reply with quote

That's a great idea. I wonder why I never thought of this...

And I'll second the blue/purple Wallenstein problem.
Golux13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see (or rather, not really see very well) your blue/purple, and raise you one red/green in Amun-Re.

Any help you can provide for those of us with factory-second eyes, Mikael, will be most appreciated. (The Amun-Re problem is actually not too bad, and I can verify by examining the symbols on the pieces... but still, some other pair of colors would be an improvement.)
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golux13 wrote:
I will see (or rather, not really see very well) your blue/purple, and raise you one red/green in Amun-Re.

Yeah I'm with you on that one too.
BakeliteTM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would this work if everyone had 'yellow' in their profile?
milksheikh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea (and one that was first suggested last year -- see http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190#190 ). Hopefully soon...
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Golux13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BakeliteTM wrote:
How would this work if everyone had 'yellow' in their profile?

I think you'd have to let everyone pick other colors that they can distinguish and have the interface randomly assign them to the other players in each player's game. So on my screen, I would be yellow and everyone else would be other colors I could readily tell apart; and on your screen, you would be yellow and everyone else would be other colors you could tell apart.

This might be more tricky with games that use colors for multiple purposes (e.g., Reef Encounter? I'm not really familiar with that game). But at least for distinguishing players, it seems that something like that could be implemented as a preference selection in your profile.
BakeliteTM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, this makes sense. I missed that in the original post.
milksheikh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's a possible downside: I notice that quite a few game messages people have posted (on the order of 400 out of 16000+ total messages) include references to player colors (well, 500+ contain colors, and a spot check of some make it seem that 80% or so are player colors). Well this cause confusion if someone forgets that they're seeing player colors that are different from what everyone else is seeing?
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Coyotek4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe instead of changing the players colors on perspective, it'd be better if we could identify a color-preference before the game begins.

Have it as an option; if one person wants a color that no one else wants, there's no conflict. If two or more people want a particular color, decide it randomly (or keep track of history and award it to the one who's due the color).

After all, when playing FTF, two people can't have the same color. Why make it so confusing here?
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color preference makes a ton of sense. From point of view it will get very confusing though. We tried that on another game site once, what a nightmare.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milksheikh wrote:
Well, here's a possible downside: I notice that quite a few game messages people have posted (on the order of 400 out of 16000+ total messages) include references to player colors (well, 500+ contain colors, and a spot check of some make it seem that 80% or so are player colors). Well this cause confusion if someone forgets that they're seeing player colors that are different from what everyone else is seeing?

Huh, that's interesting. It'd probably be a bit confusing at first until everyone understood the idea, but given that the player's name is always visible I've gotta think that references by name would become the norm.
gische

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to request this very thing.

I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement, but man would it be great to know that every game I am playing on SbW I'm the same color. It would save me from having to check that before every move of every game.
seamusk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: great idea! Reply with quote

I've had this problem for example on BGG where I forgot that I was the lion instead of the urn, confused games, and made a game defeating move. oops!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: