SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Way to block spam
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carmilla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Yeah, Well ... Reply with quote

Truth is, I hate guns; if I DID shoot one, I'd be more likely to hit EVERY bystander than my target; and I haven't lived in TX since 1979.

But some people do put one in mind of the infamous legal defense: Needed Killin'. Mad
Wildfire2099

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having to play a game first is a great solution... Maybe a couple of the old hands here could volunteer to be 'helpers' so that if someone tries to post, it gives them a message to contact a 'helper' or something, that way we won't have a newbie forum cluttered with spam.

Either that, or maybe you can only have, say 3 more posts than games played... 3 posts should be enough for any newbie to get their point across, right?
Knave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildfire2099 wrote:

Either that, or maybe you can only have, say 3 more posts than games played... 3 posts should be enough for any newbie to get their point across, right?

Probably a better formula would be:

Posts allowed = (Games completed)^2+(Games currently in)+3

That way, stargate can give us his Mad Razz Confused Cool Embarassed Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil without limitations...
Wildfire2099

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, Stargate's played a zillion games, he's no problem.

I checked it out, and there are only 5 current players (at least, through the top couple hundred posters) who have more posts than games:

--The two Mods (who can obviously make themselves exceptions)

-- Kanga and Gladitus (due to the tourney stuff.. they'd clearly either need an exception, or maybe they could be mods for their games of choice)

-- Knave (who, we all can agree seems a pretty unique fellow)

If making indivual exceptions doesn't work techincally, maybe it can just apply until you've played 10 games or something.
smlait

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if someone just has to *join* a game to be able to post? That would stop the spambots but not genuine newbies from posting. Of course, it wouldn't stop a spambot who wanted to stop in and play a few games of Amun Re or Wallenstein first... Very Happy
Carmilla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Anti-SPAM Reply with quote

Really, do we HAVE SPAM from anyone who's completed a game? I think we're making it too complicated.

The only problem is, it's the newbies who often have questions. Maybe a limit of 1 or 2 until you've joined a game, 3 or 4 until you've completed one -- and then you're on moderation. So if you DO need to post, you have a way to do so, it just may take a bit of time.

Once you've completed a game, I don't see the need for limitation unless there's a case of abuse, in which case banning should take care of it, I would think.
stargate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knave wrote:
Wildfire2099 wrote:

Probably a better formula would be:

Posts allowed = (Games completed)^2+(Games currently in)+3

That way, stargate can give us his Mad Razz Confused Cool Embarassed Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil without limitations...

Very Happy Smile Sad Shocked Confused Laughing Mad Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Exclamation Question Idea Arrow
freduk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-SPAM Reply with quote

Carmilla wrote:
Really, do we HAVE SPAM from anyone who's completed a game?

Oh yes. depending on your definition of spam... Twisted Evil
daveszum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Posts Reply with quote

I know this isn't going to be popular with non-contributors, but what if posts were limited to only those who contributed? It should be easy to set up and adds a little incentive to be a bit more invested in the community Twisted Evil
Kanga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple is the key here.. The simplest option is no posts unless you've joined a game. The sheer quantity of spam recently makes this necessary, even at the very small theoretical risk of blocking a genuine new player.
Early_10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanga wrote:
Simple is the key here.. The simplest option is no posts unless you've joined a game. The sheer quantity of spam recently makes this necessary, even at the very small theoretical risk of blocking a genuine new player.

A new player is still free to ask questions within the game.
Kanga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a new player who has joined a game would be free to post in forum. Unless that leads the spam bots to start joining games as well... ugh that's a bad thought.
Wildfire2099

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way a spammer would go through that much effort.. most of them are automated.

I really think something should be done, it's getting kinda riduculous these last couple weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: