SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tourney Support - Anonymous Games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joaotorres

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Tourney Support - Anonymous Games Reply with quote

I've been away from SBW for a while (unfortunately Wink, and I'm glad to see lots of tourneys popping up.

I guess a lot could be done here to support it, but a feature to provide fully automated support for tourneys certainly would demand a lot of work.

But in my opinion, a nice feature that should be easy to implement is an option to "anonymize" the games until they're finished. I mean, once the game starts you don't know which player is playing with each color. So that you can't change your game based on who's winning the tourney.

My suggestion is to add an option to play the games in an anonymous way, so that you'll know who's playing but not who's each player in the game itself.

Guess that must be easy to do and a nice addition to tourneys. And as it will be optional, if you want to run a tourney the regular way, you still can.

Thanks in advance..
jmucchiello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second this. Shouldn't be too hard to list everyone has "Player 1" until the game ends. It would eliminate the advantage playing to the players' weaknesses which is an unfair advantage since it generally cannot be reciprocated.
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowing who you are playing against is a big part of the strategy though... especially in auction games.
bearsfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea. Often a player might not be able to win a game, but can influence who does. Allowing the option for anonymous tournament play with identities revealed at the conclusion would help prevent gaming the tourney system by one player delaying making the last few moves in a game to see how your opponents rankings are doing and then favoring one player in that game to help yourself in the tournament rankings. Or, having players gang up against whoever is ranked #1 in the tournament.
jmucchiello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play more poker. It isn't fair to the people who know less about their opponents. If you've played with Tom 100 times and can predict his play, that isn't fair to Steve who's never played against Tom. Using knowledge from outside the game to influence events in the game is usually considered outside the rules. You can't avoid it in a face-to-face game. But as an option on a pbw game, especially a tournament, it levels the playing field.
Carmilla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just used "fair" and "poker" in the same post?

In a poker game, I'm all OVER knowing everything about my opponent (at least in theory.)

Still -- it's an interesting point. I'm not that worried about the kingmaking aspect, but it would be intriguing to see if it would make a difference.

Truth to tell, though, if you DO know a player well, and you know he/she is in the game, odds are you'll have them pegged in short order anyway. Not to mention if Player #1 in game 1, Player #2 in game 3, and Player #5 in game6 all go away at the same time (with the same return date), you're gonna draw some conclusions ...

In fact, it might have the opposite effect from what you intend. If I've played with X a jillion times, I'll recognize X's style. If you haven't, you can't even use what little you MIGHT know (by reputation, or a handful of plays that you could study) because you don't know who X is. Still favors the one who knows the player better, and probably even more than it does now.

If the problem is knowledge of the player -- anybody can research the archives. If it's kingmaking -- well, that's a whole 'nother issue.
jmucchiello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use "fair" and "poker" in opposite contexts in the same post. Although I've never though about fairness and poker at all. Fairness doesn't enter into it. The outcome is pre-determined after the shuffle. The question you have to answer is "What is finding out the outcome worth to you?" What could be more fair than that? Smile
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blind would be great!

How would you water block me then Tom???
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting that german style board games were designed to bring the family together and get a feel for different play styles. Likewise, you get to know people and enjoy their style when you play. It seems like it takes the soul out of the game. If I'm going to spend money to block rebel, it better be rebel that I'm blocking.
jmucchiello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is when you play in your living room, you know everybody there. Part of the fun is just being with friends and family. Would you stand for two players exchanging emails and colluding against the other 1-3 players? If you know your friend well enough taking advantage of his foibles is no different to the outside observer from him "helping" you. For the normal games, this isn't really an issue. For tournament style games, it is better to remove the appearance or even availability of collusion. (Granted, you could still send an email to your friend saying "I'm in prague. Where are you?" But I think at that point we agree that is cheating.)
sekos88435

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

1sdfsdf
aricjoshua

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: games online Reply with quote

Games new online cookie clicker!
Play on PC or phone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: