SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

"Doh! can we pretend I have a shrimp on that coral?"
Yes, I will honour that!
76%
 76%  [ 19 ]
Nope, that's dinner for my Shrimp!
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Well it depends on just how good it would be for me!
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

striking_cobra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: What would you do? Reply with quote

I have often wondered what would happen in an online game if someone forgot to protect a coral with a shrimp. If it was face to face, and someone took their go and finished it and then said "doh! I forgot to put my shrimp on" I think we'd all allow them to do it if the next player hadn't started. But on here that's not possible.
So my question is, if someone took their go and then posted a message in the game saying they meant to put a shrimp on a coral but forgot, would you honour that or just play as if it was not there and maybe add your own shrimp if it was advantageous to you?
stargate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one was easy for me
I voted for option two >> dinner for my Shrimp Sad

reason -- my Reef Encounter play is soooooooooooo BAD
I will take the points any way I can get them

I would still lose the game, just not by as much Embarassed
gische

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it happy plenty of times, typically where the first player forgot to place a shrimp.

A couple of times I've even seen all the other players leave it alone for the player to claim on their next turn, unasked. But that's rare.
SunLion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't leave it alone *unasked*. But I would if the request came before anyone else had done anything.

The interesting thing for me here is ... would I ask?
I would in 'real life', well then I'd probably just correct it. I know my friends, they'd generally be OK with that. But here I tend to feel that if you've made a mistake you have to live with it and I don't think I'd ask. I might moan a bit, curse myself for an idiot, curse the interface, curse the system. But I'm not sure I'd actually do the obvious thing and ask everyone else to 'play nice'. Would you?
Dobinator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just did this in a tournament game - didn't realize until my next turn came up, and my shrimpless colony had already been gobbled up. My mistake, but I felt like an idiot. It was too late to ask, but the thought never crossed my mind, actually. I made the error.
Jernau25

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's a double-whammy for the "forgetful" player (they could lose tiles AND are now behind in shrimps on the board) I would have no problems leaving that particular coral alone - provided of course that the question was asked. It could be some cunning ploy by the player to lure everyone away from another tempting tidbit elsewhere on the playing field (though most likely not) Very Happy

I agree with Sunlion here that often not asking is key - have to get over the embarrassment first Embarassed
freduk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that Sad - why doesn't this surprise anybody?
Face 2 face, I might ask to take back with my "friendly" group; with a more competative group, I wouldn't ask because I know the answer. Same on here. The best way to learn by your mistakes is to be punished by them. You're more likely to remember that way.
In a tourney, I certainly wouldn't ask, nor would I give.

p.s., can we have a "no, no, I meant to eat my last shrimp" button?
striking_cobra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean that you woudl do this half way round the board, but simply once you have collected your end of go lava cube, just as the "oh pants!" moment hits you.
hagin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would (and have) left it alone when asked.

I think I've done this twice myself. On one occasion people left it alone. On the other two did and one didn't.

I've seen other people ask for this on a few occasions. Sometimes people leave it alone. Sometimes they don't.

The problem is that if 1-2 people leave it alone and then someone else doesn't then that someone gets a bit of an advantage out of the niceness of others, which is kind of cheap.

I see a definite pattern amongst those that ignore the request: the lower their winning percentage, the higher the chance they'll ignore the request.

This leads me to a suggestion, which I'll post on another thread.
smlait

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we have a "depends on the situation" option? If it was a teaching game against newbies, I'd leave it. If it was a 2-player game and the other player had left me a message telling me where the shrimp should be, I'd honour that. If it was a 4-player tournament game, no note and opponents go after me? Sorry! If I don't take advantage of it, the next guy will - and I'd prefer not to lose just because one opponent gave an advantage to another. (Not that I really want to win that way either, but given the choice between those two options...)
worcesterarlo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smlait wrote:
If it was a 4-player tournament game, no note and opponents go after me? Sorry! If I don't take advantage of it, the next guy will - and I'd prefer not to lose just because one opponent gave an advantage to another. (Not that I really want to win that way either, but given the choice between those two options...)

Ok I have to confess it was me that ate Dobinator's unprotected coral in our tournament game Embarassed - and it was in the exact same situation as described by smlait above and for pretty much the same reasoning... I then stupidly went and did exactly the same thing in another of my tournament games Mad and yes I didn't realise until it came back round to my go and someone had gobbled it up, so I guess that was karma!

As for F2F I don't think it would happen really, it's usually caused here by too much quick clicking without thinking! - I think the kind of people I usually play with F2F would point it out before their turn anyway if it did occur (hopefully!) Smile
kekeweb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that very thing happened to me in my 1st move in the tourney!!

someone eat it up

lol
dennpars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made this bonehead move twice. Once I didn't say anything and it was gobbled up. The second time I said something and all players left it alone, but as said earlier, you're now behind in getting shrimp on the board, so the move has already screwed you whether it's still there to populate or not.

I would probably leave it alone as long as it was clear that the intention was to populate it with a shrimp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Reef Encounter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: