SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Usage of Water tiles.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuvHightide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: The Usage of Water tiles..... Reply with quote

Am I the Only One that does Not like to use the water as a Block to a market ??

Just curious to see how many out there Do Not like that move or think it's Fair strategy....
Mabi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no Fair/Unfair, only Good/Bad strategy.
I have little experience in Hacienda, but as in most games I think this kind of moves can be good in 2-player and bad in multiplayer (except specific cases, against a direct contender for the win, which is essentially a 2-player situation).
Alashar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to agree with you. I question the fairness of it. But on rare occasions I have used it, usually in response to being blocked myself. Something about it strikes me as a little sleazy or over-competitive or both. Rolling Eyes
IBX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta agree with Mabi on this one. I've used water blocks to varying degrees of success...when used in the two player game, and more cautiously, in multi-player games they can work...I've had it bite me in the rear before too.

It is just one more aspect of the game that you have to be aware of at all times.

And yes, Renee, I know you hate me when I use it on you Wink
stargate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most times I have seen it done by newbies >>> who did not win the game Sad

I have seen it used successfully by an experienced players >>> mostly 2 player games

some maps are good for water blocks, many are not

players need to think twice before using a using a water block Surprised
be sure you are not spending your Pesos to give the other players points Embarassed
lindalait

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used it, and only rarely seen it used.

It's no more bad play than any other blocking, which I don't tend to do unless it's done to me first, or the games almost done.
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the water block as it is a key piece of the strategy of the game. Just like Ticket to Ride allows you to block routes by adding trains where ever you want, however it has to be done right or it back fires more often that not
spearjr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the water block is a completely valid strategy and certainly not "unfair". I don't always remember to use it myself, but I chuckle when someone catches me off-guard with it.

As others have said, it is most useful in two-player, much harder to be worthwhile in multi-player.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and I have a long history of trying to water block eack other. It deepens the game by adding another problem to keep track of. But it does have a habit of backfiring if not done right.

I don't know about it being unfair (however done in a multiplayer by someone clearly losing against someone still fighting for the win it would probably be unfair as it is unlikely to be the best move for THAT player, which is more how I judge fair, if the same player covered the market with an animal it would be fair if that was their best way of getting more points, and equally unfair if it was done to decide the winner of the game), its just another facet of the game.

Fairness comes down to gaming to do your best and if by bad luck or bad play you are not in contention for the win, letting those who are battle it out without too much interference (which is something each gamer needs to determine for themselves how fair or unfair their moves are, I'm sure we have all played FtF games with couples, and would be unhappy if one of them helped their partner win when it was clear that their own race was over. I think I'm fortunate that the couples I play with FtF fight like cats and dogs to beat each other as well (yes I am talking about you and Djura, Kanga)!

Play fair! Laughing
hagin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this used and I'm not a big fan of it, particularly in variant 1 games where you can completely cripple someone's ability to make an income. Some might say that's all part of the game and they are right, it is. That being said, I'd be happier if the rules for water placement were like those for placing pampas: they can only be placed next to something you own. Now that doesn't completely eliminate their blocking potential but I think it'd be more reasonable.

We are however talking about changing a pretty clear rule in the game. It doesn't seem to come up that often so it's not really a huge problem.

BTW this thread should really be in the Hacienda forum.
Kanga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water blocking is a legitimate move, however as Rebel says it backfires often, and I have only successfully used it on oneor two occasions in all the 2 player games I can remember.

Djura and I are competitive, but not as bad as some; I'll only actively block her if it's clearly my best move (after all I do have to live with her afterwards!).
spearjr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hagin wrote:
I've seen this used and I'm not a big fan of it, particularly in variant 1 games where you can completely cripple someone's ability to make an income. Some might say that's all part of the game and they are right, it is. That being said, I'd be happier if the rules for water placement were like those for placing pampas: they can only be placed next to something you own. Now that doesn't completely eliminate their blocking potential but I think it'd be more reasonable.

We are however talking about changing a pretty clear rule in the game. It doesn't seem to come up that often so it's not really a huge problem.

In variant 1 water is EVEN more expensive, I don't recall seeing it happen that often there.

I'd be curious what Wolfgang Kramer thinks of Water blocking, but if there was a rule change announced now, I'd keep playing the way I have been, with water blocking. At least for in person games, assuming the game was re-programmed here.

If others wanted to game wiithout Water blocking, I'd suggest including a note in their game comment, a gentleman's(1) agreement.

(1)- or Gentlewoman's as the case may be.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GamesOnTheBrain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's fair.

Whether it's wise is a different story. Figuring that out depends on the number of markets in the game, how much additional scoring potential you have in the game, how much additional scoring potential your opponent has, your and your opponent's points per action potential, how many turns are left, how much liquidity you'll still have, and a long list of other reasons. Your ability to assess them will grow with experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: