SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feature request - confirm when buying a land or animal tile
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slith

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Feature request - confirm when buying a land or animal tile Reply with quote

I seem to be the biggest bungler on SBW. I made heaps of mistakes on Amun-Re due to not having a confirm/undo feature. Now I'm having the same problem with Hacienda. Sometimes when I want to play a particular animal or land card from my hand I end up accidentally clicking on the same face-up animal or land card and purchase it by mistake. It seems hard to do, but I'm thinking, "I want to play a sheep," and my eye is drawn to the big picture of the sheep and I unwittingly click on it. Of course, it's not possible to undo an animal or land card purchase. Often, it's not a big issue, but in a game I am currently playing it's potentially cost me the game.

Is there any chance of putting in a confirm option every time a land or animal card is purchased, in a very similar fashion to the way it does when it asks you to confirm your animal or land card purchase if this is your third action?

Cheers,
Jeff.
stargate

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff --- some rules Smile
look before you click
or
think before you click
and
be sure the other players in your games say thank you
when you don't follow rules 1 & 2 Smile Smile

IMHO --- on a scale of 1 -99 (99 being high)
click errors in Hacienda are a 3 vs click errors in Amun-Re being a 97
Bob
spearjr

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made this mistake myself, however I think I would find the confirm more annoying than the occasional mistake.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
freduk

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Slith on this one. I'd rather have the confirm.
stargate

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spearjr wrote:
I've made this mistake myself, however I think I would find the confirm more annoying than the occasional mistake.

I agree Smile
Alashar

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made that mistake the first time I played online, but haven't had a problem since. Sure, it'd be nice if your hand wasn't right next to the purchase deck, but I hardly think it warrants an interface re-design, or worse, a confirm button. If you make enough of those mistakes, you may just learn.
stargate

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alashar wrote:
I made that mistake the first time I played online, but haven't had a problem since. Sure, it'd be nice if your hand wasn't right next to the purchase deck, but I hardly think it warrants an interface re-design, or worse, a confirm button. If you make enough of those mistakes, you may just learn.

repeat >> I agree Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
slith

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's an "interface redesign" to put the confirm in. There's already a confirm there if you buy a card as your 3rd action. It just needs to be implemented, with slightly different text, if you buy a card as your 1st or 2nd action too. I believe this should be relatively straightforward.

If you don't find it too annoying to have that confirm when you buy a card as your 3rd action, surely it wouldn't be too annoying to have this when buying a card as your 1st and 2nd action?

The reason it can be hard to look before I click is that I am trying to juggle an 8 month old at the same time and I rush to an extent. In any case, I don't see why the games can't be idiot proof. Seems silly to allow the outcome of the game to be determined by a simple mistake. Admittedly, it's not as bad as Amun-Re was before the fixes, but it does happen enough I think to be worth considering.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this reveals a flaw in the interface layout more than anything else. It's too easy to confuse what's in your hand with what is for sale. In retrospect, we should have put those further apart.
slith

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the interface is really good on the whole, but yeah, I think that the layout of your hand and cards for sale is at least half the problem.
GDW

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having to confirm every single card would be annoying beyond belief. It is too small of an action and it occurs too frequently.
slith

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that you are very easily annoyed.
SiddGames

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the game had a switch each player could set?

Confirm all card purchases? Yes or No
Use colorblind tile sets? Yes or No

Yes, I just read the "set player color" thread and would like to see that if it weren't too hard, but mainly a colorblind tile set would be nice. I'm red-green color deficient and don't have problems on Hacienda, but have a hard time with the blue/purple in Wallenstein, go figure...
slith

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm "red green colourblind" too and will now head on over to see the "set player colour" thread too. Cool idea. I'm a protonope, which means that I have no red cones in my eyes, just blue and green ones. One effect is that I have great difficulty differentiating between blue and purple. Hacienda is also not a problem for me. SG, perhaps you have missing or dodgy red cones which means you have a different "red green colourblindness" to the majority of people with "red green colourblindness" who have missing or dodgy green cones.

Back on to the topic at hand, the option for each player to customise their interface sounds like a great idea.
domster

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to add my vote to the confirmation when you buy a card. I've bought a card when I've meant to play one from my hand a few times, and it's really annoying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Hacienda All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: