SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short Game Variant?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Short Game Variant? Reply with quote

I saw on BoardGameGeek that someone recommended removing 12 specific tiles from the 2-player game. Is this a popular variant? I think it would be very easy to add that variant here if there's any interest.
phil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried this variant, but if you implement it here I will try it. So yes, there is interest! Very Happy
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
spearjr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The variant I've played and thought worked well was posted on the Fortworth gamers site. I think it would be great if this variant was made available here.

12 tiles are removed with 2 players and 6 with 3. Since their site appears to be down, I'm going to repost the text of it here:

Quote:
Variant
Contributed by Michael Ward
Saturday, 30 July 2005

This variant improves the game when you don't have a full compliment of four players.

This variant is to ensure that Tikal maintains the same level of player interaction the standard four-player version enjoys, when you only have two or three players. I’ve found that playing with less than four people using the standard rules usually results in the players merely spreading out over the board with little interaction with each other. There is no impetus to hamper other players goals or “claim jump” when there are more temples and treasures than two or three players can possibly claim. Note: I designed this for the basic game. I never play the auction version, so I have no idea how this variant with interacts with it.

In case you aren’t aware, in the basic four-player version there are 36 tiles (in groups “A” through “G”). Divided by four (players) this allows everyone nine regular turns (plus four scoring turns).

For Three Players -

Basically you’ll be removing six tiles from throughout the tile stack. Remove the tiles listed from the following tiles groups:
“B” - one level 3 temple
“C” - one jungle (clear)
“D” - one jungle (clear)
“E” - one jungle (clear)
“F” - one level 4 temple
“G” - one level 2 treasure

In summary, you’ve removed three jungle (clear), one treasure and two temple tiles. This will leave 30 tiles. Divided by three (players) this allows everyone ten regular turns. There will be four scoring rounds, just like in the basic four-player game (three by volcano and the final). In effect, two of the 24 treasure tokens will not be used.

For Two Players -

Basically you’ll be removing twelve tiles from throughout the tile stack. Remove the tiles listed from the following tiles groups:
“A” - one level 2 temple,
“B” - one level 3 temple and one jungle (clear)
“C” - one jungle (clear) and one level 3 treasure
“D” - one jungle (clear) and one level 5 temple
“E” - one jungle (clear) and one level 2 treasure
“F” - one level 4 temple and one jungle (clear)
“G” - one level 2 treasure

In summary, you’ve removed five jungle (clear), three treasure and four temple tiles. This will leave 24 tiles. Divided by two (players) this allows both players 12 regular turns. There will be four scoring rounds, just like in the basic four-player game (three by volcano and the final). In effect, seven of the 24 treasure tokens will not be used.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which tiles should be removed when there is more than one that meets the criteria? Randomly selected?
stargate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very happy to try and/or play this Variant of Tikal
that said -----
I am one of many users on SBW who enjoy playing the 2-player game
just as it is Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
spearjr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
Which tiles should be removed when there is more than one that meets the criteria? Randomly selected?

Randomly selected is how we did it. The originator of this variant is on BGG.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
smlait

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in this variant (though I love 2-player Tikal just the way it is). My only input would be that, if we're essentially removing 7 treasures from the game, they should be two sets plus one extra. In the later stages of the game, the decision of whether or not to spend action points on digging up a treasure depends significantly on the current distribution between players (could this complete a set, or is it more likely to be a single 1-point treasure that will help my opponent more than me). If the seven treasures removed are completely random, that introduces too much luck into the treasure draw (which is already rife with luck - if your first three treasures happen to match, you're well on your way to winning an otherwise even match).
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished coding this up and now you throw this wrinkle in it. Wink

So you're suggesting in the 2-player game to have 4 sets of 3 + 1 set of 2. Would the sets be random?

And then what do you do in the 3-player?

I think I'd almost rather see a variant that kept the treasure sets intact; in other words, the total # treasures always divisible by 3.

Something else to consider is that we're not really bound here by what the printed tiles are. So if we had to make a 3-treasure tile into a 2-treasure tile or vice versa that could be done.
spearjr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
I just finished coding this up and now you throw this wrinkle in it. Wink

So you're suggesting in the 2-player game to have 4 sets of 3 + 1 set of 2. Would the sets be random?

And then what do you do in the 3-player?
Something else to consider is that we're not really bound here by what the printed tiles are. So if we had to make a 3-treasure tile into a 2-treasure tile or vice versa that could be done.

I think it is critical to keep the treasure sets in tack. So for two player we would only want to remove 2 sets, 6 treasure discs total. I need to look for a complete inventory of the tiles to give specific advice on which tiles to remove, or we can go with what you suggested of altering one tile.

For three player, I think we remove a 3 treasure tile from the "C"s. And a clear from the "G" stack. (Now I say that, but without the tiles in front of me, I can't be sure that there is even a clear in the Gs.)
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is one clear tile in G.

Here are the treasure tiles and the sets they come from:

A - 4
A - 4
B - 4
C - 3
D - 3
E - 2
F - 2
G - 2

My recommendation would be to remove one 4-treasure tile from A and the 2-treasure tile from G for 2-player.

For 3-player I would remove the 3-treasure tile from either the C or the D set.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The creator of the Ft. Worth variant does not want us using his variant unless it's done exactly as described.

So it sounds like we'll need to come up with our own variant. Since we're starting from scratch, some questions:

1) How many tiles should be removed per number of players?

2) Which tiles should be removed?

3) Should treasure sets be kept intact? If so, how many treasure sets per number of players?

4) Do we want to modify the tiles as published for any reason? It would be relatively easy to change temple levels, treasure counts and/or stones if necessary.
mrbass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we decide after the auction version is released and we've played a few 2 player games of that. It sounds like the luck is pretty much reduced.
smlait

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think a variant with all of the clear tiles removed would be highly entertaining, but I'm not advocating we test it here. Twisted Evil

I don't know about the rest but, if we did make a variant with fewer tiles, I do think it's essential to keep the treasure sets intact. Maybe remove one set for three players and two sets for two players?
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smlait wrote:
I don't know about the rest but, if we did make a variant with fewer tiles, I do think it's essential to keep the treasure sets intact. Maybe remove one set for three players and two sets for two players?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think it might be worthwhile to take a similar approach with the temples. How many and of which type should there be in a 2-player game? In a 3-player game? Then once you figure that out you can look at which tiles to remove and/or change.
Golux13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to remove excavation tiles as well. You have to keep the 10 available -- or do you? Why couldn't 9 or 8 be the highest, and only one of those left in the game? -- but the curve should be flattened correspondingly with the reduction in number of temples.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: