SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some long overdue Amun Re changes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexfrog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need an undo or confirmation for taking rewards. Every mistake I've ever made in this game has been accidentally taking a power card when I needed a brick to complete a set.
matrix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The undo of gaining powercards is obviously unpossible, because you know the card(s).

But the possibility of undoing the gain of pawns or brick were quite comfortable.
smlait

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but if you changed the interface so that people had to choose, on one page, what their rewards would be, that would eliminate a lot of the mistakes. Something like:

You may take two rewards. Choose how many of each you would like:
Power cards = 0 / 1 / 2
Farmers = 0 / 1 (if, for example, you only have space for one farmer)
Bricks = 0 / 1 / 2

That may not be easy to code, so it may not be viable, but it would prevent the "you can't give up power cards once you know what they are" problem.
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of what goes in games is that you need to pay attention, whether online or FTF. We have all lost games because we weren't playing close enough attention and made a moronic move, this issue falls along the same lines...pay attention and you don't make the wrong choice, don't pay attention and you possibly screw up. No use crying over spilt milk! Cool
HighwayStar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem lies in the fact that the taking rewards screen looks almost identical to the buying resources screen. If you just changed the background color of the taking rewards screen the problem would go away. I would guess that is an easy coding change...
hermes88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it has been much discussed, but I still think the auction needs a change to lessen the chance of accidentally bidding on the wrong province.

I recommend that --on the confirmation screen-- there is a dot of your color that appears in the province you bid on. That way you see it _on the actual province_ before you confirm. As it is, the confirmation screen isn't worth much.

also, I agree with HighwayStar on the rewards screen. I'm hoping your new buy icons will be with the rewards, but also anything that distinguishes it visually from the building phase would be very nice.
leck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it seems to be time to bump this thread again, given the parallel conversation in a different thread. Sad
Alexfrog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Some long overdue Amun Re changes Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:

B) Open/closed money. I'm fine with how it is, but maybe some people would prefer a variant where it didn't explicitly display money?

If this is implemented, I hope the leagues arent run this way.

I really dont want to have to keep a notebook of everyone's money in all my Amun Re games. But its pretty important, so I guess I would have to to compete at the top level.
Alexfrog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smlait wrote:
True, but if you changed the interface so that people had to choose, on one page, what their rewards would be, that would eliminate a lot of the mistakes. Something like:

You may take two rewards. Choose how many of each you would like:
Power cards = 0 / 1 / 2
Farmers = 0 / 1 (if, for example, you only have space for one farmer)
Bricks = 0 / 1 / 2

That may not be easy to code, so it may not be viable, but it would prevent the "you can't give up power cards once you know what they are" problem.

I agree, this would help a lot. The errors I have made have been with this step, and they are generally game ending (failing to get your set/most on side, because you accidentally clicked to take some powercards, because you thought you were buying powercards).
Dvd Avins

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The change just above would mean you wouldn't be able to look at what cards you get before deciding whether the remaining reward(s) should be farmers or bricks.

At World Boardgaming Championships, you can actually take rewards on reward at a time, taking a card and seeing it before deciding if you want another card. I don't thank there's anything in the published rules that contradicts that implementation. (You can't do that during the purchase phase, of course.)
Dvd Avins

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see an undo for anything within your turn, provided you can only back up the point where you got new information by taking cards. And the taking cards screen (whether by purchase or by rewards) warns you that it's irreversible. ThT warning, aside from stating a simple fact, would serve as a reimnder that you were choosing cards at the moment, not the farmers or stones that you just calculated you need.
jmucchiello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buy interface should allow you to "collect" your purchases (with a javascript running cost somewhere) buy dragging cards (face down) to your "hand" and dragging stones and farmers to the board. There would be two buttons "Reveal Cards" and "Finish" If you hit finish, you get whatever you've selected. If you hit reveal cards, you can see the cards you've dragged to your hand and can no longer purchase more. But you can continue buying farmers and stones until you hit done. If you have an extra farmer or extra stone bonus card, they are in your hand and you can drag them to a province. If you have not hit done, you can click the card in the province to undo it.

(Of course, this could be less Web2.0 but the functionality described would be what I'd like to see.)

Dvd: Check the errata about power cards during rewards phase: http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/oft0opsot/Amun-Re_Errata.txt (Though I have no idea where the errata came from.)
jmucchiello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you trade a power card for gold the gamelog should state the name of card discarded. In a f2f game, you can see what card was discarded.
Dvd Avins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the rules specify whether the discard pile is face up or face down?
Gaditus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Some long overdue Amun Re changes Reply with quote

Alexfrog wrote:
HappyProle wrote:

B) Open/closed money. I'm fine with how it is, but maybe some people would prefer a variant where it didn't explicitly display money?

If this is implemented, I hope the leagues arent run this way.

I really dont want to have to keep a notebook of everyone's money in all my Amun Re games. But its pretty important, so I guess I would have to to compete at the top level.

It's a moot point because it is unlikely to be implemented, but if it were the leagues would continue to be run on an 'open money' basis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Amun-Re All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: