SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tikal 4-P Tournament - Participants please read!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpsof95

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in this case it would be better to give the winner of each match the highest seed of the match, and the second place finisher gets the second highest seed, instead of each player keeping their original seed. This is because the original seeds were quite arbitrary.

So the semifinals would be:
1) Winners from matches 1 and 4, second places from matches 2 and 3.
2) Winners from matches 2 and 3, second places from matches 1 and 4.

So we would get these semi-finals:
1) smlait, Bogey, cpsof95, brianlcarr
2) borisumi, Alashar, markmist, Andrew

Btw, are the any rule to break ties?
markmist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpsof95, I figured it out slightly differently. The winners of each match get the top 4 seeds, and the losers get the bottom 4 seeds. But among those 4, I will use the original seed. The results are almost the same, except Smlait and Alashar switch places.

Tournament I - Semifinal Match 1: Borisumi (2,1st=1), Smlait (8,1st= 4), Markmist (9,2nd=5), Andrew (13,2nd=8 )

Tournament I - Semifinal Match 2: Alashar (3,1st=2), Bogey (5,1st=3), Brianlcarr (6,2nd=6), cpsof95 (10,2nd=7)

(original seed, place = new seed)

Alashar, since you are the top seed in Match 2 - I will let you set up that match. Please PM the other three players a password of your choosing - so we don't have the problem of someone joining that doesn't belong.

I will set up Match 1 tomorrow. Remember - top 2 from each match advance to the final.

As for tiebreakers - I hadn't thought of it. How about most workers left in supply? If still tied, then I would have to do some sort of random coin flip or something.
markmist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay - I did not have time to post this weekend. Password should be mailed to your PM for semi match 1. Let me know if you did not receive it.
cterrell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markmist,

Love the idea of an auction tournament. It really is the best way to play - far and away. Random draw is just too random for good players.
smlait

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cterrell wrote:
Love the idea of an auction tournament. It really is the best way to play - far and away. Random draw is just too random for good players.

While I second the interest in an auction tournament, I don't know that I entirely agree that auction is necessarily the best way to play. Regular Tikal is won and lost on tile placement. You can get very few "good" tiles and still win if you know how to place the "bad" tiles well. (Yes, sometimes you get insanely unlucky tile draws, but they're actually pretty rare.) The auction version turns the game into one which is primarily about tile and turn-order valuation. The other skills come into it, but they play second fiddle to the auction itself. I like both versions, but I'm actually finding original version Tikal to be a purer game that I enjoy a little more.
cterrell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Auction vs Standard Reply with quote

With all due respect, I disagree. I agree that part of the game is knowing how to effectively place the tiles that aren't necessarily helpful, but in a 4-player game where you acquire exactly 9 tiles it is very easy to fall into or out of a win without having much control over the situation. As a perfect example I offer my semifinal game. My 9 tiles consisted of two 2-Temples in the first three turns and not one single temple the last six. We all know that whoever gets the 6-Temple in round E is practically guaranteed 12-14 points at game end for their effort (provided they immediately cover and cap or adequately protect). In my game my last four draws were volcano - campsite - volcano - campsite. In other words, thank you for playing... In standard Tikal you may be that lucky soul who gets the right tiles and maybe not. I've played enough games (60+ online) to be on both sides of the equation numerous times. Here is the difference. In standard Tikal you are entirely reactive - you get a tile (perhaps good, perhaps not good) and deal with it. In auction Tikal you have the opportunity to influence the outcome of the tile distribution and that IMHO is what makes it a better game than the purely reactive standard game.
cpsof95

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, actually we know one finalist already. Brianlcarr took a big risk with his camp position, but it paid off as he got a 5-temple.

Here's the game.

P.S. Two empty tiles were drawn after the camp placement, so the camp could have been blocked well, but for some reason that didn't happen.
smlait

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Auction vs Standard Reply with quote

cterrell wrote:
With all due respect, I disagree. I agree that part of the game is knowing how to effectively place the tiles that aren't necessarily helpful, but in a 4-player game where you acquire exactly 9 tiles it is very easy to fall into or out of a win without having much control over the situation. As a perfect example I offer my semifinal game. My 9 tiles consisted of two 2-Temples in the first three turns and not one single temple the last six. We all know that whoever gets the 6-Temple in round E is practically guaranteed 12-14 points at game end for their effort (provided they immediately cover and cap or adequately protect). In my game my last four draws were volcano - campsite - volcano - campsite. In other words, thank you for playing... In standard Tikal you may be that lucky soul who gets the right tiles and maybe not. I've played enough games (60+ online) to be on both sides of the equation numerous times. Here is the difference. In standard Tikal you are entirely reactive - you get a tile (perhaps good, perhaps not good) and deal with it. In auction Tikal you have the opportunity to influence the outcome of the tile distribution and that IMHO is what makes it a better game than the purely reactive standard game.

No disrespect taken - I'm fully aware that many players disagree with me. I suspect that part of my preference for vanilla Tikal comes from the fact that auctions are one of my least favourite game mechanics (and yet I play Amun Re... albeit quite badly). I will agree that luck of the tile draw plays into the game more heavily in a 4-player game than in 2-player (by virtue of the fact that you only get half as many tiles). My preferred way of evening that out is to play at least as much 2-player Tikal as 4-player. The reality is that Tikal has a lot of luck in it. If you and I both pick up three treasures before the first scoring, and mine match while yours don't, there's a very good chance I'll win. In auction-based 4-player Tikal, if I play immediately before someone who's determined to win every volcano and you play immediately after that player, you'll likely beat me. In vanilla 4-player Tikal, if I happen to draw the last seat, I'm probably not going to win.

I know I'm not going to change opinions - and, honestly, I'm not trying to - but I keep reading that the auction version is an inherently better game, and I felt that I should at least present the other option and explain why some of us (or maybe just me Smile ) would disagree. Essentially, my point is that both versions have pros and cons, both have a fair chunk of luck, and which you like better is more a matter of personal preference than an objective judgement. I've also played a lot of Tikal and consider myself to be reasonably good at it (though certainly not the best around here), so I think my opinion is reasonably well informed. Mind you, I still plan to play lots more Tikal of both versions - research, dontcha know? Wink
stargate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same camp as smlait Very Happy
and for most of the same reasons
the biggest of which is I STINK in games with a bidding mechanic
(just ask DangerMouse how bad I am)
and I also love Amun-Re and I would rather play a 3 or 4 player game
than a 5 player game because I am bidding mechanic challenged Embarassed

I also like faster games so I will play much fewer auction games of Tikal
then I will the standard version

the great thing about SpielByWeb is we can all find players
with similar playing preferences to our own

Susan -- I'm going on vacation(GoF) tomorrow and look forward to
playing Tikal with you again after Easter Very Happy
Bob
cterrell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points smlait. Let me refine my statement then. IMHO auction Tikal is a superior game to standard Tikal for a tournament format. For a friendly game either are a fine choice, and my wife would testify that she definitely prefers the standard game.
Golux13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auction vs. non-auction is a preference based on how much randomness you like in your games. I'm OK with some randomness, but I find that in a game like 4P Tikal, the random draw of tiles can effectively dictate whether you have a chance or not (e.g., my most recent non-auction game, I did not get a reasonable chance to place a campsite until the second-to-last turn, meaning I could not effectively reach most of the scoring tiles); IMO, that takes all the fun out of the game. An auction mechanic lets you control the randomness, tipping the balance considerably further toward the SKILL end of the LUCK/SKILL spectrum. (And before you get up in my face, I recognize that non-auction involves skill -- it's not Candyland, after all -- but I feel it is much more luck-based than the auction version.)

Everybody has different thresholds on the LUCK/SKILL spectrum for what they consider an ideal or preferred game, what they consider a tolerable game, and what they won't play. Vive la difference!
andrew6261

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Tournament semi result Reply with quote

results of 1st semi: andrew6261 and markmist progress
Alashar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a link to that? Thanks.
andrew6261

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game 22837 (not sure how I paste a link...?)
markmist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a long post and it just disappeared. Weird.

Anyways, let's try this again. Semifinal match 1 was completed a few weeks back. The results were:

Andrew6261 - 102
markmist - 89
smlait - 88
borisumi - 78

http://www.spielbyweb.com/game.php?games_id=22837

Some commentary on the game. I had to adopt a temple-only strategy as I wasn't drawing any treasure tiles or getting anywhere near them. Andrew was able to grab the most treasures and some isolated temples, so I figured he was going to win. The real battle was for 2nd. Notice the 10 workers I had to employ to hold down a 9 temple. I was happy with 2nd in this one, it felt like I won.

The other semifinal match is still ongoing:
http://www.spielbyweb.com/game.php?games_id=22784

As soon as it is complete, I will post the final round pairing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: