SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feature request - undo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Feature request - undo Reply with quote

I guess I had too many games going and was trying to be quite quick making my moves, but I frequently have made mistakes playing Amun-Re. I started playing Tikal and this game has been done brilliantly on SBW. The fact that you can test out stuff and undo everything until the previous action that contains a random element (ie, draw a treasure tile) is fantastic. I've not made a single error using this interface. And that is one of the beauty of playing be email is that I have lots more time to analyse my move and try different combinations with a brilliant web interface.

However, the Amun-Re interface is completely unforgiving. I don't want to sound unappreciative of the effort that has gone into doing this game, and I really love this game, but I don't see why there is no possibility of undoing anything. For example, I have a bad habit of buying farmers before using the Free Farmer power card, despite being warned on my very first game to play the Free Farmer card before buying farmers. However, there is no reason why the Free Farmer card cannot be used at any time during the buying resources phase according to the rules. I've made a few other mistakes like putting building stones in the wrong province and buying 4 farmers instead of 4 building stones and it is frustrating that these mistakes cannot be undone, even though it would not have any effect on the other players. I can understand that buying power cards cannot be undone as once you've seen the power cards it's not reasonable to undo the move, but for buying farmers and buying building stones, these should be undoable.

Thanks for providing SBW and for listening. Cheers,
Jeff.
GDW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seconded
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see how much work this would take. You're not the first to request it...
slith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking into it. I can imagine that I wouldn't be the first.

I read another post that a confirmation step had been added in the province auction phase. I simply think that an undo option needs to be made at the same time that the finished buying resources link is offered. I guess it's easy to say, but hard to do.
markmist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Slith!

I too am spoiled by the undo of Tikal and have been punished by the unforgiveness of the Amun-Re interface. An undo option for last moves would be an excellent feature.
slith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had another thought. Whilst programming the undo option, at least provide some visual queues when buying resources (be it in phase 3 or phase 5 when receiving sacrifice rewards). At the moment, we simply see 0, 1, 3, 6, 10, ... inside rectangles whether it's power cards, farmers or building stones. Perhaps these should be modified so it's obvious what they are. ie, the rectangles should contain the picture of the back of a power card with the cost written above it when you are purchasing power cards, the rectangles should contain the picture of a farmer when you are purchasing farmers and finally, the rectangles should contain a picture of a building stone when you are purchasing building stones. These visual queues should require little or no code changes and would eliminate a good number of mistakes.
spearjr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love a undo feature as well. I've lost a few games from being stupid and quick.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
craw-daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with slith. Simply inserting the pictures would probably stop a large portion of the problems as they'll serve as a visual reminder of what it is that you're doing right then.

Try it out the way that slith suggests, or you could try something like
"How many farmers <picture of farmer here> do you want to purchase?" and so forth.
JimF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making mis-click mistakes has never bothered me much in the past, but having recently thrown a hard-fought game in the last turn by clicking on the wrong purchase I must say I am now in favour if it isn't too much work for the developers.
slith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the best player around reckons it needs to be done, that ought to cinch it Smile
stargate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silth -- you just turned JimF red in the face Smile Smile Smile
JimF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Embarassed

Also not true. Win% is an imperfect measure. I'll settle for a 'pretty good player'.
slith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's modest too Very Happy. I'd settle for a 'pretty good player' myself, but you surely are up there at the 'very good player' level.

Fair call on the win percent not being a perfect ranking system. The best ranking system would take into account, the position you come in every game, not just first place and also who you beat and who you lose to. ie, beating highly ranked players is better than beating lowly ranked players.. So, getting lots of second place positions should count for something. Anyhow, I'm taking this way off topic now.
gische

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would also consider number of players. Winning a 5-person game is a lot harder than winning a 3-person game.
julcas815

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for sharing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Amun-Re All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: