SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metal roof screws don't hold anymore.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
babarnag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Metal roof screws don't hold anymore. Reply with quote

Hi, this is metal over a simple gable roof, applied directly to a 30-kilogram tar paper covered with a layer of 1/2-inch plywood. I found that the washers under the hex screws had deteriorated from ultraviolet light and summer heat. This allows water to seep through the shanks of the screws and damages the wood into which they are screwed. I can pull on the panel and the whole panel will lift the screws and all that. Replacing screws with number 8 with screws with number 14 does not help at all. Fortunately, it's not windy in my special microclimate! The simplest solution I can think of is to go around the entire roof by installing a new screw 3 inches above each existing screw and using sikaflex to seal the existing screws. Another idea is to remove all the roofing metal (groan), cut 30 inches at the top of each panel, then start with a 36-inch initial course of new metal, creating a 6-inch overlap between the initial course and the existing panels. Thus, the holes in the existing panels are likely to be on top of the intact wood. In any case, the paint would need to be prepared and repainted. These are the only solutions I can think of, but I don't really like any of them. I'd rather not buy all the new metal. Please help, does anyone have a better idea??
Chananain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a pretty useful invention
irennorth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such expansion can always occur, especially when there is a temperature gap, in such situations you can generally destroy your roof altogether. Which is not so pleasant for you and your home. When I had the house in the climate zone about like yours, well I did not know what measures to interpret, later I found out about Germantown, they managed to find the perfect solution. Of great importance is the raw material from which the screws are made and other details from which your roof is formed. The right combination will lead to an extraordinary phenomenon
themob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:32 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

That is why regular maintenance is a must for our roof. This way you might avoid potential accidents. Great work reporting it here!

https://www.roofingrepairstauranga.kiwi/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> SpielByWeb Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: