SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New SpielByWeb terms
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
milksheikh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: New SpielByWeb terms Reply with quote

I have made a few additions to the terms and conditions presented when registering with SpielByWeb. These of course apply to both new and current users. You can view them at:

http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/faq.php#0

Nothing major -- just a few guidelines to follow.

Last edited by milksheikh on Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Big Bad Lex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the following is the substantial amendment;

You must complete any game you join. If you abandon (stop playing in) any game, you will not be permitted to join any future games unless you successfully convince the administrator to allow you to continue.

Might I make one suggestion to tighten this up? A limitation period is needed to define abandonment. Perhaps if a player fails to make a move for two weeks?
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this! I second Lex's suggestion of a time limit (allowing for the vacation/away option already added). Hopefully this will help eliminate certain unfavorable non-players.
AmericanEagle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: You must complete any game you join Reply with quote

This is an EXCELLECT addition and should be well received by ever player! Thanks for listening to the players and eliminating the quiters!
KevinFR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Extended/DrawnOut Games Reply with quote

What if you get into a game where the others players take weeks to take thier turns, forget about the game, etc. (Without prior notification.)

I have a game of 'Reef Encounter' which I joined back in January that is still being dragged out. (Probably my fault for signing up for a game with people I didn't know and whose game title said we were going to do a turn a day. See game : 3470 N00b game. )
Jimzik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Play the game! Reply with quote

Thanks Mikael!
This is what I've been on about for quite some time. Days of Wonder has a robot take over if you take too long to move in "Ticket to Ride" but that is a real-time game. Maybe if a delaying player is DROPPED after taking too long (whatever you decide is too long) so the other people in the game aren't punished. Each of these games is an investment in time and there's nothing more important than that.
Andrew Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must complete any game you join. If you abandon (stop playing in) any game, you will not be permitted to join any future games unless you successfully convince the administrator to allow you to continue.

I completely support this rule. It will reduce the incidence of this kind of behaviour.

http://www.spielbyweb.com/messages.php?games_id=3996

It's your site, Mikael, but I think reinstating permission to join future games should be limited to where players reach consensus that someone has a good reason to abandon, or the player in player question would have found it very difficult to take a turn (eg extended periods of illness).

BTW, I love this website! Smile

Last edited by Andrew Cadd on Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Nightflight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generaly i have no problem with this but i would strongly recommend adding a possibility for players to terminate their games. I started a game to try out tikal, both of us didnt like it, so we decided to abondon that game. Players shouldnt be forced to continue playing if everyone agrees that the game should end.
stargate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a great test for the new terms and conditions--
see games 6490 and 6506 a new user ( 4-20-06) has joined two
games and not played since 4-21-06 but continues to play in a 3rd game
see the notes in game 6506
wtrollkin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've seen other turned based sits do is after a period of inactive time (say 2 - 4 weeks) the other players can now delete the game -- but if they want to wait they have the option.

Some sites count it a loss. Some sites don't count it at all.
rabidxero

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milksheikh r u planning on putting more games onto the site
craniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played reef encounter for my first game here, couldn't understand it, then went on a family vacation and then was finishing up my dissertation, and then sbw broke and went offline and I assumed the game was auto-restarted, blah blah anyway I was really flakey and inconsiderate. It would have been nice if the other players would have had the opportunity to either boot me or give my turn to a latecomer who was more responsible, in much the way that an AI-bot takes one's place in TTR.

Santiago is great, btw.

The other possibility would be to set a limit for people joining. So if one's average time between turns is <2 hours, they get a rating and are allowed in. Or not allowing players with <2 games, or some other criteria. My greatest time between turns is like 700 hours, so I would be hosed by that move, but I would understand and respect the decision. (my average time is much less).

In other news, there is no way for me to change or erase that number. I must wear the scarlet letter forever.
dilsonfilho

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!!!
Llama

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: You must complete any game you join Reply with quote

AmericanEagle wrote:
This is an EXCELLECT addition and should be well received by ever player!

It's Mikael's site and he can do as he pleases, of course. But please do not presume that everyone likes this addendum. There are other ways of dealing with this "problem" that take into account Real Life. Ludagora remains the best example of how to deal with this.

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com
mrbass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craniac wrote:

The other possibility would be to set a limit for people joining. So if one's average time between turns is <2 hours, they get a rating and are allowed in. Or not allowing players with <2 games, or some other criteria.

www.littlegolem.net has where you can define the ratings one must have to join a game. But the best I think is www.tickettoridegame.com daysofwonder where you just have a karma system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: