SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Additional descrepancies between board game and SpielByWeb
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ptolemy1st

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Additional descrepancies between board game and SpielByWeb Reply with quote

Dakla, Thebes, or Edfu. Which was dealt first should receive one or two power cards from the old deck, which was dealt last should receive a card from the reshuffled deck (the original deck having been exhausted). The provinces always seem to be displayed in numerical order and so if you want a card from the original deck you don't know which province to bid on. This is a departure from the board game but not listed amongst the descrepancies.

Also, selling power cards, by necessity in the board game is public with the card publicly displayed (or else someone tricky will exchange 1 gold for 1 gold and befoul the deck). But in the online game it is secret. This seems to be another unlisted descrepancy between board game play and online.

Please add these descrepancies to the descrepancy list or correct them.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Additional descrepancies between board game and SpielByW Reply with quote

Ptolemy1st wrote:
Please add these descrepancies to the descrepancy list or correct them.

Only if you say "pretty please with a cherry on top".
stargate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DangerMouse ---- you forgot the Cool Whip
Rhelik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And sprinkles... you need sprinkles with that!
Wes M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sprinkles are also cursed.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Additional descrepancies between board game and SpielByW Reply with quote

I can't speak for milksheikh, since this is his game-- [takes off SBW developer hat] but I don't see in the english rules where it specifies in which order you place bonuses on the new provinces. There seems to be an ambiguity here but I think whichever way it is implemented should be documented for those rare instances where it does matter.

Also, I agree that seeing which power cards are discarded should be public information just as it is in person; the gamelog would seem to make the most sense as a place for that. Furthermore, if monitoring the power card deck is the goal then perhaps it would make sense to add a gamelog event stating when the deck is reshuffled?
[dons SBW developer hat]
Mabi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Additional descrepancies between board game and SpielByW Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
Furthermore, if monitoring the power card deck is the goal then perhaps it would make sense to add a gamelog event stating when the deck is reshuffled?

It's already there:
The power card discard pile was shuffled to form a new draw deck (24 Aug 2006 02:33 pm)

Come on, these discrepanciese are so insignificant that nobody ever noticed. Rather than remove them, I would prefer to see a new one introduced: after the sacrifice, rearrange the whole turn order according to offerings, not only the start player. I bet this is not an official rule only beacuse it would be impractical in ftf games, but here that wouldn't be an issue.
laevus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mabi here: I have won games by guessing that the person before me would bid high and give me priority over someone I was sure would steal - Just because of turn order.

I think it would be great to treat the web version of the game with whatever flexibility the virtual interface can afford it. That said - The primary reason (it seems to me) that the board game version keeps turn order in accordance with the relationship to the highest bidder is because it would either be a challenge to track, or else everyone would need to stand up and change chairs every bid phase.

That issue is resolved in this format, so it would be nice to offer an additional reward (better bid position) to the higher bidders, as opposed to ONLY the highest bidder.

All said - That is not criticism. The game rocks. Thanks to all who make/made it possible.
Golux13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laevus wrote:
I agree with Mabi here: I have won games by guessing that the person before me would bid high and give me priority over someone I was sure would steal - Just because of turn order....

But that's a valid aspect of the game. In games where turn order is relevant and changeable, your strategy has to include predicting it, and it doesn't matter whether it changes by X formula or Y algorithm -- you just make your plans accordingly. Changing the rules for aesthetic reasons (i.e., not because the game is broken) is silly, and in this case, it would mean only that you would have to alter your turn-order prediction method and adjust your strategy.

Also, I doubt that the turn order process in Amun-Re is an artifact of the difficulty of changing everybody's order in a F2F game; there are plenty of other games where turn order varies through the game. I believe this was a conscious decision of the game designers, and since it does not break the game, we should stick with it.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Additional descrepancies between board game and SpielByW Reply with quote

Mabi wrote:
HappyProle wrote:
Furthermore, if monitoring the power card deck is the goal then perhaps it would make sense to add a gamelog event stating when the deck is reshuffled?

It's already there:
The power card discard pile was shuffled to form a new draw deck (24 Aug 2006 02:33 pm)

Shows what I know. Smile

I've wondered myself if the turn order is like it is for F2F convenience. In face to face games it feels intuitive to have turn order remain constant but in PBW games it feels more intuitive to have it follow the amount sacrificed -- since you aren't all seated at a table in a certain order. At least that's how I see it. I'm not arguing that either way is better -- but it still catches me off guard when I bid 5, someone else bids 6, the other players steal and I go last.
craw-daddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such is the whims of the gods... Wink
Mabi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golux13 wrote:
Also, I doubt that the turn order process in Amun-Re is an artifact of the difficulty of changing everybody's order in a F2F game; there are plenty of other games where turn order varies through the game.

Yes, but you need to add more components to keep track of that, and publishers want to avoid this unless it's necessary, and as you say in Amun-Re it's not really necessary because it certainly doesn't break the game. Here we could have this little improvement for free.
Anyway, it's really a minor point, Amun-Re is still my favorite PBW game, so let's not argue about this Smile.
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe anybody is fighting about rules with someone named Ptolemy, obviously he must know more about Amun-Ra then the rest of you. Laughing
freduk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't believe anybody is fighting about rules with someone named Ptolemy, obviously he must know more about Amun-Ra then the rest of you.

Why? Ptolemy was Greek...
freduk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(and I'm a troll...) Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Amun-Re All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: