SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something needs to be done about MIA users
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many games are you waiting forever to move on?
38%
 38%  [ 22 ]
33%
 33%  [ 19 ]
3-4
21%
 21%  [ 12 ]
5-6
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
7-8
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
9-10
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
way to many!
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 57

theoneweasel77

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Something needs to be done about MIA users Reply with quote

Something really needs to be done about players that just quit\drop out in games. The more I play, the more my games screen is filling with games that I'm begining to think will never finish, because one player A. left B. wanted to be mean and left\changed usernames C. got tired of playing or D. went on a 5 month vacation. If you fall under D, I envy you. Otherwise, something needs to be done. At least allow the game to be a draw so it doesn't fill up the "your games" screen.
CaptainCaveman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

At least providing a way to clean them up would be nice. Even better, periodically re-emailing would be nice, or supporting player substitution.
HighwayStar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: MIA Games Reply with quote

I have two games that haven't moved in two months. It seems clear that the players never intend to play. I propose that any game where there is no activity for 45 days be automatically deleted.

You should also delete any game that does not start within 30 days of its creation date. It's clear all those password games with 1 person joined are never going to happen... Wink
TheCat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't provide the option to reply "zero."

What you really need is a way for players to kick out dropouts and invite replacements to play in their spot.
theoneweasel77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you like to pick up someone elses strategy? I wouldn't have much fun that way...
Also, I didn't provide a zero choice because I'm cynical. It helps emphasize the point.
arkibet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Not sure how Citadels does it.. Reply with quote

I play Citadels at that Spanish website. Sometimes "robots" appear after a player's name, and I have no idea why or when that happens. I'd hate to think you'd need an AI for everyone (because it seems pointless to play this way with non-real people), but it does progress a game that may have died.

Just a thought... you may want to do some benchmarking with other sources Smile
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PaleHorse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Agreed, something should be done Reply with quote

Yes, I think that possibly giving the game's creator an option to drop a player would be great. Certainly something should be set up to offset those who drop or take forever to move. To advance the discussion, I would then also look to add something to the web site stats showing how many times any given player has been booted/dropped. Give the game creator some power to weed through those who have a poor track record.
milksheikh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something's in the works. But it's a good bit of work, and isn't very much fun, so it's taking time. It'll be a few weeks before it's ready, but have a look at this thread:

http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38

to see some of the discussion. I know this is a problem, and we'll find a solution.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JimF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of games where one of the players has not progressed the game for quite a long period now. In both cases I can see that these players are still making moves in other games. So these players are still accesssing the site and playing games but look to have stopped taking part in a game where they are not doing very well (for the rest of the players the games are still in the balance). Is there any way of flagging up players who are the cause of an abandoned game, so that you can avoid starting a game with them in the future?
JimF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just noticed that under each player's profile it does show the number of games abandoned, but every game abandoned counts towards all players in that game and not just the player who caused the game to be abandoned. The latter would be fairer in my view.
milksheikh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, abandoning a game without a good excuse is enough cause to lose your privileges of playing on SpielByWeb completely. Which is what I plan to do -- once you abandon a game, you're out (unless you can convince me to give you another chance).

Regarding players playing in some games but not others, send me a message with their username(s), and I'll follow up.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we please delete the Amun re game 'Sacrifice'? We had a new user named ginolard sign up, and he has done nothing else since. Now I see why there are so many passworded games.
hildo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On www.cycloopspellen.nl , positions of players that haven't done a turn in 28 days are put up for replacement. The substitute players can opt to play for their own rating or for the ones they are replacing.

I
Murwiz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Provide drop-dead option to game creator Reply with quote

When a game is created, the creator should have the option to set a drop-dead date (say, 7 days). If the drop-dead period has expired while waiting for another player (NOT the owner, and not "on vacation") to move, the owner should be allowed to delete the game.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
qzhdad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be really lucky (or a fun opponent), I've a screenful of games, but the oldest last update is April 10. And I participate in very few passworded games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: