SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tournament rules

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Tournament rules Reply with quote

In the last 4 player it *almost* reached a three way tie in the finals and it wasn't clear how a winner was determined. Payton is doing a good job of running these (thanks for that) and they aren't too serious but it's probably a good idea nonetheless just to be clear on what the rules are.

Two suggestions I have:

1. In the final round (and possibly semifinal if there is one) play 1 more game than the # of players; and

2. Settle ties (like who wins or goes to the next round if there is one) by point difference (like the Hacienda tournaments do).

Cheers
gische

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me.
Payton3434

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagin,

In Reef Encounter tournaments, I have used the same rules as the Santiago tournaments.

In all the finals (have been best of 3), if their is a tie for the 1st places, with the point difference like Hacienda tournaments.

In the early rounds, I have used the number 1sts as the first tiebreaker, followed by 2nd, then 3rds.

The tournaments that will be starting up soon(as soon as I get a good number to start). I am flexible with these rules.

I do not know how to do a poll so just let me know by posting here your preference.

1)keep everything the same

2)Play another game if there's a 3way tie in the final

3)Use point difference from winner in all rounds

thank you
smlait

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be in favour of having one additional "final" game between the players who are tied for first place. I suspect that's the solution that's least likely to invoke "tournament play" where a player's primary goal in one of the games becomes one opponent not winning (based on the predicted results of the other games).

Playing one more game than there are players doesn't really help since 3 players playing 4 games can easily lead to a 2-2 tie on wins. 4 players playing 5 games can easily go 2-2-1, etc.
Red October

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, smlait.

would it be a hassle to create an extra game later...if there's a 3-way tie? keep that fourth person in there...otherwise it changes the gameplay. i mean, if i was that player without a win, i'd tell myself,

"shelf, come on little buddy. let'sh take thish match and forcshe another tie-breaker."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Reef Encounter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: